[net.micro.atari16] Blit Terminal

FCTY7284@RYERSON.BITNET (04/23/86)

>I just read on att.blit that the University of Toronto has developed
>and is currently using a 5620(blit) terminal emulator in a ROM
>cartridge for the 520ST (mono).  Does anyone know if this is true?
>If this is cartridge exists I would like to buy one and I'm sure a
>lot of other people would too. Can anybody out there confirm or deny
>this??? I think a product like this would be a great boost to ST
>sales, I hope it makes it to the market place.

                        R.T. Bradstrum
This is true: Dave Galloway at the U of Toronto Computer Science
Research Centre is the person to talk to. I saw a demo of the
BLIT emulation: the ST was hooked up to a VAX system by a 9600
baud line and was running a number of windows in a multiplexed
manner. It looked like a small SUN worksation, very smooth.
The snag in marketing this thing is that AT&T would have to licence
it, since it was a port of existing software. The original BLIT
was $10,000 (!) so don't get your hopes up.
Peter Hiscocks

halloran@unirot.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (04/24/86)

In article <8604230718.AA01165@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> FCTY7284@RYERSON.BITNET writes:
>>I just read on att.blit that the University of Toronto has developed
>>and is currently using a 5620(blit) terminal emulator in a ROM
>>cartridge for the 520ST (mono).  Does anyone know if this is true?
>>
>>                       R.T. Bradstrum
>This is true: Dave Galloway at the U of Toronto Computer Science
>Research Centre is the person to talk to. I saw a demo of the
>BLIT emulation: the ST was hooked up to a VAX system by a 9600
>baud line and was running a number of windows in a multiplexed
>manner. It looked like a small SUN worksation, very smooth.
>The snag in marketing this thing is that AT&T would have to licence
>it, since it was a port of existing software. The original BLIT
>was $10,000 (!) so don't get your hopes up.
>Peter Hiscocks

The advantage may be this:  the BLIT was a 68K-based bitmap tube built
for Bell Labs internal use.  The Teletype 5620, the commercially
available unit, is NOT a 68K-based system (WE32000?).  So the BLIT
support software may be seen as having so little commercial value that
AT&T may well license it for some reasonable fee.  Anyone at Guilford
Center listening? (please?)

					Robert Halloran, Consultant
UUCP: ..topaz!caip!unirot!halloran		ATTMail: RHALLORAN
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857		Ph: (201) 251-7514
Disclaimer: Any opinions are due solely to line noise.
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..." -- Hunter Thompson