[net.sf-lovers] Sequels - The Galactic Pantograph

carlton@masscomp.UUCP (Carlton Hommel) (06/12/85)

In article <1028@peora.UUCP> (Joel Upchurch) writes:
>Speaking of sequels did Alexis Panshin ever get around to writing 'The
>Galactic Pantograph'?
Alexis Panshin can be seen in the Huckster's Room at area cons.  He gets
a much bigger cut of the purchase price of his books if he sells them
himself.  (He also does a booming autograph buisness.)  I asked him the
above question at Philcon 1979, and he said that the publisher (Ace) never
bought it.  The impression I got was that he had sent around an outline,
but no one wanted to sell it.

I asked him about the title in February, at Boskone, and he held out no hope
about the book seeing light then, either.

	Carl
Wife:  What are the first three books?
Husband: _The Star Well_, _The Thurb Revolution_, and _Masque World_.

	There is a long-standing split among philpsophers on the
    subject of names.  Realists take them seriously, believing them
    to be things.  Nominalists take them lightly, believing them to
    be means, believing them to be convienent labels.  Every man in
    the world is either a Realist or a Nominalist.  Give yourself a
    test: if someone called you a gigger or a fell-picker, and you
    knew it wasn't true, would you hit him or smile?  That's how
    easy it is to tell.
	_The Thurb Revolution_, p. 179

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (06/20/85)

I have heard it said that Panshin has mortgaged his career to pull a
fast one on Ace Books.  They bought his next n novels at one point and
paid him in advance.  He spent the advance payment but did not want to
write books if he was not going to get any more money for them.  The
loophole in the contract was that he could publish co-authorships
elsewhere.  That is why his wife's name has started appearing on his
books.  But nobody can get too enthusiastic about publishing him after
his little trick, so he is sort of a falling star.  In the meantime his
writting talent is flagging.  I don't know for sure if this story is
true.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper