[net.micro.atari16] Destop menu bars

ACS19@UHUPVM1.BITNET (05/07/86)

FYI (for your information)

>rick@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Richard R.Sharpe)
>Subject: desktop menu address

>I'm trying to write a desk accessory that can enable/disable itself
>on the desktop menu.  If possible, I'd even like to change the text
>on the menu.  I've tried to use multiple MENU_REGISTER calls but
>apparently only the first is used.
>Rick Sharpe at Rosemount Inc, Burnsville MN

The menu_register call only installs the desktop applications name when the
system boots up, or when the resolution is changed.  To locate the desktop
menu, I would suggest that you look at memory, using SID or a similar dis-
assembler that can display memory without disassembling.  You can find all
sorts of nice places in RAM, including all the menu names, and options under
them.  I have done this to find the location of the DESKTOP.INF files which is
kept in memory by TOS.  I do not know the exact locations off hand, but you will
be able to recognize them immediately.
If your program has its own menu bar, you can place your names/titles in
strings, point to the strings, and change the string pointer, or actually
change the text within the string.  But as far as changing GEM desktop
menu bars, this can not be done with sytem calls, you must hack it out.
I have fooled around with installing an icon onto the desktop from SID, and
have had success putting additional drives, windows, and trashcans there.
These things can not be done through system calls, since the desktop is
'proprietary' and nothing about its location, or altering it are documented.

From Houston,
Michael Vederman

acs19@uhupvm1