[net.micro.atari16] New Atari BBS Info!

terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) (05/03/86)

In BYTE (May, '86) a bulletin board sponsored by ATARI was announced.
There are four different lines:

1-408-745-5308
          5970
          2642
          4758

The BBS has 9 different special interest groups (SIGS):

1.	General
2.	XE
3.	User Groups
4.	Dealers
5.	Service Centers
6.	Developers
7.	ST Art
8.	ST Computer
9.	SYSOPS

Set your modem to no parity, 1 stop bit.  I managed to log in with my
1200 baud modem.  I believe 300 baud is supported also.  When I stumbled
around the BBS it looked like there was a lot of interesting software to
download.  Files could be downloaded in ascii, xmodem, and some other
format.  One can log onto the service for a period of twenty minutes.

I tried to download some programs, without success.  I could download
text files with no problem, but programs got screwed up somehow.

I have the PC Intercom program (an early version).  This program allows one
to download files in ascii, raw, modem7 (whatever that is), and
PC Intercom modes.  I tried ascii and raw without success.

Would someone who has been successful downloading programs please let
me know how it is done?  I'm completely stumped.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Bergman-Terrell (CSNET Address terrell@ohio-state)

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (05/08/86)

In article <8605030057.AA26717@ohio-state.ARPA>, terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric
Terrell) writes:

> In BYTE (May, '86) a bulletin board sponsored by ATARI was announced.
>
> 1-408-745-5308
>
> I tried to download some programs, without success.  I could download
> text files with no problem, but programs got screwed up somehow.
>
> I have the PC Intercom program (an early version).  This program allows one
> to download files in ascii, raw, modem7 (whatever that is), and
> PC Intercom modes.  I tried ascii and raw without success.
>
> Would someone who has been successful downloading programs please let
> me know how it is done?  I'm completely stumped.

The best way to download from Atari Base BBS is to use Xmodem, which in
PC/Intercomm is called "Modem7".  Get to the point on the BBS where you
have selected a file to download and it tells you to prepare for Xmodem
download.  Then go to the PC/Intercomm menu and start the download.  It
should work fine.

The other download method is DFT, which is a unique format that Michtron
uses in their BBS software and in their terminal program, MI-Term.

Raw is the same as ASCII except that control characters are not tampered
with.  ASCII is useful only for text files (like the news files in the
General SIG).

Hope this helps -- if you need me you can reach me by a note to Sysop on the
Atari Base BBS.

--->Neil @ Atari
	...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil