[net.micro.atari16] 520 vs 1040

CS112170@YUSOL.BITNET (05/12/86)

Hi there.

I'm having some difficulty deciding which ST to purchase.  I thought that
the 1040 was the machine to buy, but I would prefer to have the power
supply and drive external to the system.  So I thought, I might as well
get a 520 with a double sided drive.  But I've been told that upgrading
the 520 isn't so easy due to the lack of space inside the case.

Can anyone shed any more light on this subject?  I'm particularly interested
in the ability to expand the system, especially along the lines of extra
RAM, and the graphics co-processor (when it becomes available).

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
CS112170@YUSOL,
York University

jhs@disunix.UUCP (05/13/86)

1040s have a heat problem, reported in one case to cause sagging of the
plastic case.  They also have a disk drive reliability problem, said to be
possibly due to the heat problem.

520s can be upgraded but the MMU has been alleged to not have enough drive
capability, thus requiring resistor "fixes" to protect it or something.  Other
sources say it is the power supply that is the culprit, not having enough
current capacity and thus causing various components to operate at the wrong
voltage.

Sounds to me as though an upgraded 520ST with a better-grade external power
supply might be the way to go.  5-volt DC supplies of good quality are widely
available or can be built at fairly low cost.  I think if I were buying right
now it would be this approach.

Down with little black transformers all over the place!  The time for REAL
power supplies has come!  (What voltage/current do the monitor and disk drive
require, while we are at it?)

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (05/14/86)

I've had my 1040 on for hours at a time, and not noticed either
the machine overheating or the disk becoming unreliable. Of course,
my machine's still under warranty, so I shouldn't expect that sort
of problem.

jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) (05/15/86)

In article <8605131618.AA10686@mitre-bedford.ARPA> jhs@disunix.UUCP writes:
>1040s have a heat problem, reported in one case to cause sagging of the
>plastic case.  They also have a disk drive reliability problem, said to be
>possibly due to the heat problem.

Not my 1040. Its run fine for 2 months! I've even left things on top
covering some of the vents for hours with no problems.
--
voice= 415 823-2441
uucp={ihnp4,dual,qantel}!ptsfa!jmc

dorrestn@nvpna1.UUCP (Frans Dorrestein ) (05/18/86)

In article <8605121419.AA25503@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CS112170@YUSOL.BITNET.UUCP writes:
>I'm having some difficulty deciding which ST to purchase.  I thought that
>the 1040 was the machine to buy, but I would prefer to have the power
>supply and drive external to the system.  So I thought, I might as well
>get a 520 with a double sided drive.  But I've been told that upgrading
>the 520 isn't so easy due to the lack of space inside the case.

Here in Europe it is an official Atari policy to sell four types of ST-models
which are: 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, and 1040ST. Leaving aside the 260-model, the
following is a comparison of the remaining three models:

model   characteristics                             price relative to 520ST
520ST   including SS-drive                          f 2500 or about $1000
520ST+  same as 520ST but 1Mbyte of memory          520ST + 15%
520ST+  DS-drive instead of SS-drive                520ST + 23%
1040ST  (built in DS-drive)                         520ST + 40%

It is astonishing that Atari apparently does not support the 520ST+ model in
the States while they do support these models on our side of the great pool.
The 520ST+ model is really a good compromise if you want both modularity and
less vulnerability to problems and on the other hand 1Mbyte of memory. Why
don't you (in the States) push Atari to support the 520ST+ model in the States
as they do in Europe?

Frans Dorrestein.