[net.micro.atari16] compression of image files?

walt@rclex.UUCP (Walter L. Weber) (05/17/86)

Has anyone ever seen or used an encoding or compression algorithm
to store image files?  I have seen a couple of demos which appear
to be compressed, as they are all different sizes and come up in
a "slideshow" style presentation.

I would be interested in receiving any details regarding sources,
implementation, etc. which you might have.

BTW - good JOB! out there in Sunnyvale - an excellent product.

--
Walt Weber         UUCP:  {harvard,ll-xn}!rclex!walt
Ridge Computers

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (05/19/86)

In article <752@rclex.UUCP>, walt@rclex.UUCP (Walter L. Weber) writes:
> Has anyone ever seen or used an encoding or compression algorithm
> to store image files?  I have seen a couple of demos which appear
> to be compressed, as they are all different sizes and come up in
> a "slideshow" style presentation.

On the Atari Corp. BBS (408-745-5308) in SIG #7 (ST Art), you will find two
programs -- a squeezer and an unsqueezer.  We squeeze all pictures on the
BBS to help save downloading time (disk space also, but we still have more
than half the 20-meg free -- god I love hard drives!).

> BTW - good JOB! out there in Sunnyvale - an excellent product.

Thanks!  I wouldn't be without it myself.

--->Neil @ Atari
	...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil

walt@rclex.UUCP (Walter L. Weber) (05/21/86)

In article <285@atari.UUcp>, neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) writes:
> In article <752@rclex.UUCP>, walt@rclex.UUCP (Walter L. Weber) writes:
>> Has anyone ever seen or used an encoding or compression algorithm
>> to store image files?
> On the Atari Corp. BBS (408-745-5308) in SIG #7 (ST Art), you will find two
> programs -- a squeezer and an unsqueezer.  We squeeze all pictures.....

What I meant to ask was if such a scheme existed which could be used on
an image file from within a program;  in that way a "slideshow" or "animated"
demo/tutorial would be able to be more miserly with it's use of disc for
the images.  I am thinking of run-length-encoding schemes, but have yet
to see anyone talk about it here on the net.

--
Walt Weber                UUCP:  {harvard,ll-xn}!rclex!walt
Ridge Computers          PHONE:  (617) 861-6000