[net.micro.atari16] VT52 emulator dies

sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (Sandra J Loosemore) (05/14/86)

I've been experiencing a problem with the desktop VT52 emulator on a
fairly regular basis, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one.  What happens
is this:  some noise comes over the phone line (like when it hangs up on
the other end), and suddenly the terminal emulator goes dead.  Nothing
shows up on the screen, nothing goes out the RS232 port.  Going back
to the desktop and then back into the terminal emulator doesn't do a thing
to unwedge it; you have to hit the reset button.  My modem (a Signalman)
is admittedly not the most reliable piece of equipment in the world, but
I've never had similar problems using it with my Heathkit terminal.  Does
this sound familiar to anybody?  Is there some less catastrophic way to
unwedge things?

-Sandra
(utah-cs!sandra, loosemore@utah-20, decwrl!esunix!loosemor)

franklin@ut-sally.UUCP (Maurice T. Franklin) (05/14/86)

In article <3794@utah-cs.UUCP> sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (Sandra J Loosemore) writes:
>I've been experiencing a problem with the desktop VT52 emulator on a
>fairly regular basis, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one.  What happens
>is this:  some noise comes over the phone line (like when it hangs up on
>the other end), and suddenly the terminal emulator goes dead.  Nothing
>shows up on the screen, nothing goes out the RS232 port.  Going back
>to the desktop and then back into the terminal emulator doesn't do a thing
>to unwedge it; you have to hit the reset button.  My modem (a Signalman)
>is admittedly not the most reliable piece of equipment in the world, but
>I've never had similar problems using it with my Heathkit terminal.  Does
>this sound familiar to anybody?  Is there some less catastrophic way to
>unwedge things?
>
>-Sandra
>(utah-cs!sandra, loosemore@utah-20, decwrl!esunix!loosemor)

I've had the same problem, and I don't think it is related to the VT52 emulator
itself since the same thing has happened while using the xmodem program emulator
as well as with the desktop emulator.  I'll have finished a call and want to
dial another, but the ATDP 1234567 does not echo on the screen.  Turning the
modem off and on does nothing, so I have to hit the reset.  I'm using a Volks
12 and 520ST.  Does anybody in net.land know what's going on here??

				Maurice T. Franklin
        			CS Dept University of Texas at Austin
UUCP:    			{ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!franklin
ARPA Internet and CSNET:    	franklin@sally.utexas.edu

[Disclaimer: The University of Texas at Austin, the Computer Science Dept, nor
just about anybody else, is to be held responsible for what I say here.]

johna@molihp.UUCP (John M Altstadt) (05/22/86)

In article <4912@ut-sally.UUCP> franklin@sally.UUCP (Maurice T. Franklin) writes:
>In article <3794@utah-cs.UUCP> sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (Sandra J Loosemore) writes:
>>I've been experiencing a problem with the desktop VT52 emulator on a
>>fairly regular basis, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one.  What happens
>>is this:  some noise comes over the phone line (like when it hangs up on
>>the other end), and suddenly the terminal emulator goes dead.  Nothing
>>-Sandra
>>(utah-cs!sandra, loosemore@utah-20, decwrl!esunix!loosemor)
>
>I've had the same problem, and I don't think it is related to the VT52 emulator
>itself since the same thing has happened while using the xmodem program emulator
>as well as with the desktop emulator.  I'll have finished a call and want to
						  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>dial another, but the ATDP 1234567 does not echo on the screen.  Turning the
>				Maurice T. Franklin

Please stand by, this is my first use of the net as anything other
than a passive reader.

I once had a similar problem with my Concorde modem and the XMODEM
terminal emulator that was posted to the net as source a while back.
Whenever I went into file capture mode before I was connected to
some other machine, the <ctrl>S that was sent out would be echoed
back to my ST by the modem!  Voila, nobody talks to anybody anymore!

I don't know if this is the problem of the first poster, since it is
fairly unlikely that spurious line noise would become ^S, but it sounds
possible for the second poster.

				John M. Altstadt

franklin@ut-sally.UUCP (Maurice T. Franklin) (05/24/86)

In article <160@molihp.UUCP> johna@molihp.UUCP (John M Altstadt) writes:
>In article <4912@ut-sally.UUCP> franklin@sally.UUCP (Maurice  Franklin) writes:
>>In article <3794@utah-cs.UUCP> sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (Sandra  Loosemore) writes:
>>>I've been experiencing a problem with the desktop VT52 emulator on a
>>>fairly regular basis, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one.  What happens
>>>is this:  some noise comes over the phone line (like when it hangs up on
>>>the other end), and suddenly the terminal emulator goes dead.  Nothing
>>>-Sandra
>>>(utah-cs!sandra, loosemore@utah-20, decwrl!esunix!loosemor)
>>
>>...the desktop emulator.  I'll have finished a call and want to
>>dial another, but the ATDP 1234567 does not echo on the screen.  Turning the..
>>				Maurice T. Franklin
>
>I once had a similar problem with my Concorde modem and the XMODEM....
>Whenever I went into file capture mode before I was connected to
>some other machine, the <ctrl>S that was sent out would be echoed
>back to my ST by the modem!  Voila, nobody talks to anybody anymore!
>
>I don't know if this is the problem of the first poster, since it is
>fairly unlikely that spurious line noise would become ^S, but it sounds
>possible for the second poster.
>				John M. Altstadt

Could be, could be.  I don't think its related to the XMODEM program, since
I seldom use capture mode.  It could be that the line noise sandra refers to,
which I also get whenever I disconnect, might just have a ^S in it.  If it
did, would this cause the RS232 line to hang?  Remember, turning the modem
off doesn't do any good, only rebooting.  Anybody else have comments/solutions?