[net.micro.atari16] overheating 1040

knnngt@ukma.UUCP (Alan Kennington) (05/17/86)

        I've found that my 1040 runs at a reasonable temperature when
it's not doing anything in particular. But if you do disk copies for
a couple of hours, then you notice the melting. If I weren't hopping
onto a plane very soon to go to the radioactive terrorist jungle
called Europe, I'd write a quick demo program to do lots of
intensive copying to test the point. Would anyone care to write
a short program to copy a disk back and forth, and post it to
this net group?
.......ak.

gordon@sage.cs.reading.Ac.Uk (Simon Gordon) (05/24/86)

In article <3444@ukma.UUCP> knnngt@ukma.UUCP (Alan Kennington) writes:

>        I've found that my 1040 runs at a reasonable temperature when
>it's not doing anything in particular. But if you do disk copies for
>a couple of hours, then you notice the melting. If I weren't hopping
>onto a plane very soon to go to the radioactive terrorist jungle
>called Europe, I'd write a quick demo program to do lots of
>intensive copying to test the point. Would anyone care to write
>a short program to copy a disk back and forth, and post it to
>this net group?
>.......ak.

I dont know about the 1040, but when I first got my 520 i used it to give a
demo at our universities freshers fair.

It ran the slide show program solidly for about 6 hours without a problem.
With the slide show the disk drive motor is permanently on, but of course
it only reads, not writes, the disk.

S.J.Gordon @ Sibly Hall, Reading University, UK

rocort@cybavax.UUCP (ECS) (05/28/86)

In article <3444@ukma.UUCP> knnngt@ukma.UUCP (Alan Kennington) writes:
> ...  						If I weren't hopping
>onto a plane very soon to go to the radioactive terrorist jungle
>called Europe, ...

Well, i guess they never told you about THREE MILE ISLAND!!

TERRORIST ? Its news to me, i'll have to check that one out,

the next time i'm in the U.S .

THANK GOD FOR SPITTING IMAGE!

R.CORT (EUROPEAN)