[net.micro.atari16] Unix for 520st? Please let it be!

mesches@ellie.UUCP (Scott Mesches) (05/25/86)

I origionally bought my 520st cause I was told AT&T was porting UNIX to it.
If I was misled, boy it was costly.
I'll sell my 520st in a minute if they only come out for
in for the 1040, and buy one of those. I go through withdrawl without
a few ls's every hour or so 8-)

Any info on this (Neil are you out there?) would be greatly appreciated.
Please mail me and I'll sum up to the net if there is enough interest.

					Scott

	Scott Mesches

ARPA:	mesches.buffalo@rand-relay

CSnet:  mesches@buffalo

uucp:   {decvax!watmath}
        {pur-ee!rocks34!rocksvax}
        {{allegra, seismo}!rochester!rocksvax} !sunybcs!mesches

Bitnet: MESCHES@SUNYBCS
--

rns@aicchi.UUCP (Schreiner) (05/28/86)

In article <1101@ellie.UUCP> mesches@ellie.UUCP (Scott Mesches) writes:

>I origionally bought my 520st cause I was told AT&T was porting UNIX to it.
>If I was misled, boy it was costly.
>I'll sell my 520st in a minute if they only come out for
>in for the 1040, and buy one of those. I go through withdrawl without
>a few ls's every hour or so 8-)

UNIX like any other multiprocessing OS is very unstable with out
hardware memory management.  Even on a system that would be a
'single user' only environment, that user would want to run more
than one process at a time (printing, mail, uucp).  With out the memory
management hardware crashing one program would could crash everything, yuck.

The 520 nor the 1040 have this hardware, although it could probably
be tack on.  So if you need a ls fix from your 520, look into UNIX-like
shells that run on it.

Ron Schreiner
...ihnp4!ronsat!rns

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (05/29/86)

In article <1101@ellie.UUCP> mesches@ellie.UUCP (Scott Mesches) writes:

>I origionally bought my 520st cause I was told AT&T was porting UNIX to it.

Wasn't this discussed to death months ago?  Didn't it turn out that what
actually happened is that AT&T announced they were looking at using the
520 as a *terminal* for a Unix system and the news got rather distorted?

I doubt you will ever see a working, reliable Unix for the *current* offerings
from either Atari or Commodore.  The disadvantages of running Unix as a
general purpose OS without memory protection are just too great. Though of
course an ST running a Unix derived kernel and fully debugged, well-behaved
"canned" applications is certainly doable, the question is, is it worth
it?

Fred Fish    UniSoft Systems Inc, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,lll-lcc}!unisoft!fnf	(415) 644 1230 		TWX 11 910 366-2145