[net.micro.atari16] vt52 on ST520

fetrow@entropy.UUCP (David Fetrow) (05/28/86)

 We have a 520ST but can't get it to quite work with vi under vt52. Is there
1) Something we're doing wrong?, 2) A slightly different termcap that should
be used instead or 3) a program that fixes the problem?

 A response from people who have and have not had success are both desired. I
know this must have shown up before but we weren't paying close attention
until we got one.

--

    - Dave Fetrow

    "Don't ask me how it works or I'll start to whimper" - Arthur Dent

  {ihnp4,tektronix}!uw-beaver!entropy!fetrow                  :UUCP
  entropy!fetrow@uw-beaver.arpa                               :ARPA
  fetrow@UWALOCKE,7833117@UWAVM                               :BITNET
  74175,1724                                                  :Compuserve

wampler@unmvax.UUCP (Bruce Wampler) (05/29/86)

>  We have a 520ST but can't get it to quite work with vi under vt52.

	I use my ST all the time, but...  The ST has MORE capability
than the basic VT-52, but there is only ONE critical difference.
Copy the VT52 termcap entry, rename it to atarist or something,
and change the entry li:24 to li:25.  Then everything works fine.
The ST has 25 lines and not 24.  This messes up scrolling at the bottom
(the editor moves the cursor to the bottom line, then issues linefeeds
to scroll the screen up.  If it thinks the bottom line is 24, linefeeds
will simply move to line 25 on the ST and not do the expected scrolling.)
There have been plenty of other postings of ST termcap entries, but
I thought maybe an explanation of just what the problem is would help
in case you don't get the exact detail now, you can reconstruct the problem
later.

	By the way, we are experimenting with STs here as terminal
replacements.  We will either develop custom window software, or
adapt the ST to work with X windows.  The ST in 40 or 50 line mode
has the potential for a GREAT multi-window terminal for Unix.  We
will post the code when it is done, or would like to hear from anyone
who is doing something similar to avoid duplicate work.
--
Dr. Bruce E. Wampler
University of New Mexico

..{ucbvax | seismo!gatech | ihnp4!lanl}!unmvax!wampler

franklin@ut-sally.UUCP (Maurice T. Franklin) (05/30/86)

In article <1081@unmvax.UUCP> wampler@unmvax.UUCP (Bruce Wampler) writes:
>	By the way, we are experimenting with STs here as terminal
>replacements.  We will either develop custom window software, or
>adapt the ST to work with X windows.  The ST in 40 or 50 line mode
>has the potential for a GREAT multi-window terminal for Unix.  We
>will post the code when it is done, or would like to hear from anyone
>who is doing something similar to avoid duplicate work.
>--
>Dr. Bruce E. Wampler
>University of New Mexico
>..{ucbvax | seismo!gatech | ihnp4!lanl}!unmvax!wampler

Speaking of Unix* windows for the ST, hasn't anybody out there done a port
of the Macintosh uw program to the ST.  The sources for both the Mac and the
Unix end are public domain (I expect you could get them out of net.sources.mac,
I have them).  For those who aren't familiar with uw, it handles a number of
windows, each of which is a sub-shell of a login to a Unix system.  It's really
great!    Anybody done the port, or working on it??

*Unix -- it's somebody's trademark and all that nonsense.
				Maurice T. Franklin
        			CS Dept University of Texas at Austin
UUCP:    			{ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!franklin
ARPA Internet and CSNET:    	franklin@sally.utexas.edu