[net.sf-lovers] A Boy and His Dog

spear@ihopb.UUCP (Steven Spearman) (09/21/83)

A very interesting film.  It was getting mixed reviews from
people around us when we left the theater - some people really
thought it was awful, I sort of liked it.
Hard core sci-fi fans may be disappointed since it has a
minimum of special effects and such.  Mostly it is just a story
of the relationship between a young man and his mutant (?) dog.

There is plenty of violence and nudity; lots of sex though not
graphic - all in all not a movie for children.  It is VERY sexist
(can't women fight for themselves in post-holocaust environment?).

The film is well done - I thought it was well worth seeing.  The
surprise ending really drives the point home too.

Steve Spearman
ihnp4!ihopb!spear

jjm@hou5e.UUCP (J McParland) (09/21/83)

	I thought I'd mention that A Boy and His Dog is based on
	a story by Harlan Ellison...

	Jim McParland
	Until October:
	AT&T Information Systems Laboratories - Holmdel, NJ
	hou5e!jjm

	After October:
	AT&T Bell Laboratories - Murray Hill, NJ
	????!???

engels@ihuxs.UUCP (SME) (09/21/83)

Is this the same movie that was released in '75 or '76?

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/21/83)

This is definitely one of the more bizarre films I've seen, but I am
still enthralled by the vivid post-holocaust imagery.  It is definitely
a movie that is 110% imagery and -10% substance, but great imagery it is.
(An example is the screamers; they exist, they scream, but the concept behind
their existence is never defined; they seem to be there just to be eerie.)
Contrary to what you said about the lack of special effects disappointing
hardcore SF fans, I think it will only alienate advocates of SF as space
westerns.  The reason that is VERY sexist (which indeed it is) is that it
was written by Harlan Ellison (no more need be said).  I did not read the
original story (novella?), but I was told about it after seeing the movie.
The book clarifies much of what is unclear in the movie, especially why
the dog can "talk" to the boy, why this is nothing unusual (in that
environment), and what the final scene really meant.  Does anyone know where
I can find the original story??  Thanx in advance.
				Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr

rh@MIT-EECS@MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (10/05/83)

From:  Randy Haskins <rh at MIT-EECS at MIT-MC>

Okay, Twits!  Ellison was here at MIT recently.  We showed "A Boy and
His Dog " last year.  Naturally, everyone wanted to know about the
"sexist" story he wrote.  He said a few derogatory things about
L.Q. Jones (the director), and then said that the movie was okay up
to the ending.  Ellison said that in his story, the ending was
like:

	Vic and Blood are walking away, talking about having eaten
whats-her-name, and Vic says "She said she loved me.  Hell, I know
what love is, love is what a boy feels for his dog."  Don't you
twits understand that the whole point of that movie was to show
how twisted society would be after a war?  Do you think there's
going an ERA movement?  Face it, life is going to suck.  That's
the point of the movie.  And you people who are calling Ellison
a sexist are lucky, because if he heard you, he'd take you apart.

Randy
-------

cjh%CCA-UNIX@csin.UUCP (01/26/84)

rground city run by
velvet-gloved tyrants is far more plausible---if the middle-American middle
class is as witless as described by Ellison they'd have a hard time making a
going concern of an underground city.
   Granted, the original story had more emphasis on violence and less on sex;
the section in the [movie house], where a XXX film is just a prelude to the
adventure feature, is amusing. But Ellison was less unhappy about the film
\when it came out/ (emphasis important, as he's always trying to abandon his
past) than about any other film or TV project I've read/heard him talk about.
The one thing he really didn't like were some of the dog's lines; the dog was
modeled on a pet of his (see "Deathbird") and was [supposed] to be a complete
gentleman, without the MCPish traits he shows in the film.

arlan@inuxd.UUCP (A Andrews) (02/01/84)

Having been present at the first 2 1/2 times A BOY AND HIS DOG was
presented (Discon II, Washington, D.C., 1974) I can say that Ellison
acted very happy about the movie, and in fact personally introduced
the movie and ol' L. Q. Jones, its producer (he, lately of "Green Acres"
infame).  The desert and the underground city were CHEAPER than the
ruined city of the story, and that's the only reason  they were used.
And yes, ecofreaks, the whole mess was restored to pristine desolation
when the shooting was over.

One of the many great things about that movie was the complete and utter
failure of the "prediction" about the sequence of Presidents: "Kennedy,
Nixon, Ford, Kennedy, Kennedy, Kennedy..." (Of course, with that bunch
running things that long, one would expect society to be wiped out in
nuclear war, right?)

Anyhow, let's not read artsy meaning into strictly commercial decisions.

(Harlan's biggest problem that night was that the projectors were
crappy, and he wound up showing the first reel twice--once with jumpiness,
once with distorted sound track.  He gave up in disgust and rescheduled it
the next night, rather than trust his ONE PRINT (!) to the terrors of
the carbon arc.)

Ellison also asked all of us to submit new names, since he was afraid of
the namby-pamby original.  I submitted THE MUD ABOVE, THE SKY BELOW...

--arlan andrews, at&t consumer products, tuesday evening, indpls, in

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (06/01/85)

There's a movie appearing 4 times on The Movie Channel (at odd times...VCR
people take note) called A Boy and His Dog.  It is a marvelous post-WWIII
sci-fi flick, written by Harlan Ellison, and starring Miami Vice's Don
Johnson.  It is an ultimately bizarre but wonderful movie, especially a
certain line near the end.  It is DEFINITELY worth watching if you like
sci-fi movies.

Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?

--Evan Marcus
--

{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

"So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she is made of wood..."
"And therefore..."
"A witch!"

rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (06/02/85)

> There's a movie appearing 4 times on The Movie Channel (at odd times...VCR
> people take note) called A Boy and His Dog.  It is a marvelous post-WWIII
> sci-fi flick, written by Harlan Ellison, and starring Miami Vice's Don
> Johnson.  It is an ultimately bizarre but wonderful movie, especially a
> certain line near the end.  It is DEFINITELY worth watching if you like
> sci-fi movies.
>
> Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?
>
> --Evan Marcus
> --
>
> {ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
>                          ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
>
> "So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she is made of wood..."
> "And therefore..."
> "A witch!"

This is a midnight/college-circuit cult classic, and I think deservedly
so: the somewhat tongue-in-cheek post-holocaust scenario, the talking
dog (who for my money is the best character in the movie, Don Johnson
[so that's who that was] notwithstanding), the decidedly motley crew
led by Jason Robards that thrives underground, and a menacing robot
named Larry(?) -- folks, this is, bizarre as it is, one of the funniest
movies I've ever seen. And that classic line at the end: one couldnt
think of a more apt ending! I would rate this a must-see.
--
...ihnp4!attunix!rajeev   -- usenet
ihnp4!attunix!rajeev@BERKELEY   -- arpanet

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (06/04/85)

In article <314@petfe.UUCP>, evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
> Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?
>
> --Evan Marcus
> --
>
> {ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
>                          ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Yep. You may never think the same way about popcorn again. Jason Robards is
priceless as the Dog's telepathic voice.

-Neal B.

chabot@miles.DEC (High Anxiety Workstations) (06/05/85)

> This is a midnight/college-circuit cult classic, and I think deservedly
> so: the somewhat tongue-in-cheek post-holocaust scenario, the talking
> dog (who for my money is the best character in the movie, Don Johnson
> [so that's who that was] notwithstanding), the decidedly motley crew
> led by Jason Robards that thrives underground, and a menacing robot
> named Larry(?) -- folks, this is, bizarre as it is, one of the funniest
> movies I've ever seen. And that classic line at the end: one couldnt
> think of a more apt ending! I would rate this a must-see.

While the dog is intentionally the smartest and most worthwhile character in
the movie, the ending line is barbaric and abominable.  I believe the author
of the short story shares this opinion--it ain't in the story.

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (06/06/85)

> There's a movie appearing 4 times on The Movie Channel (at odd times...VCR
> people take note) called A Boy and His Dog.  It is a marvelous post-WWIII
> sci-fi flick, written by Harlan Ellison, and starring Miami Vice's Don
> Johnson.  It is an ultimately bizarre but wonderful movie, especially a
> certain line near the end.  It is DEFINITELY worth watching if you like
> sci-fi movies.
>
> Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?

You mean "Well, at least she had good taste ..."?

esco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Esco) (06/07/85)

> > There's a movie appearing 4 times on The Movie Channel (at odd times...VCR
> > people take note) called A Boy and His Dog.  It is a marvelous post-WWIII

I told a friend once that I could never marry a woman that couldn't sit through
`A Boy and His Dog.' He replied "You know, you're going to be a bachelor for
a long time." Well, in that case I'd like a dog like Tiger (Blood). Even if he
can't talk. That dog could display more emotion through his dirty, fuzzy face
than could 9 out of 10 Hollywood starlets.

							Michael Esco
							Boeing Aerospace

boyajian@akov68.DEC (06/08/85)

> From:	weitek!neal	(Neal B.)

>> Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?
>>
>> --Evan Marcus

> Yep. You may never think the same way about popcorn again.
> Jason Robards is priceless as the Dog's telepathic voice.

Jason Robards did not provide Blood's voice. He played the leader
of the Downunder group. Blood's voice was done by a fellow named
Tim McIntire.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

<"Filmography is my pastime">

julian@osu-eddie.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (06/09/85)

> While the dog is intentionally the smartest and most worthwhile character in
> the movie, the ending line is barbaric and abominable.  I believe the author
> of the short story shares this opinion--it ain't in the story.

The movie version of "A Boy and His Dog" is one of the most faithful
adaptions of a written work Hollywod has ever done.  The ending is just
as it is in the story, virtually word for word.  Some even consider the
movie a two hour lead in for the ending punch line.
--
	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	The Ohio State University

rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (06/10/85)

> While the dog is intentionally the smartest and most worthwhile character in
> the movie, the ending line is barbaric and abominable.  I believe the author
> of the short story shares this opinion--it ain't in the story.

I dont think cannibalism is a great idea, but if that was the only way
to save that faithful canine, I cant blame the boy for what he did;
furthermore, I dont take it literally: I think it was just a clever
metaphor for the choice the boy had to make between companions.

I must also quibble a bit here: "it ain't in the story" doesnt necessarily
mean the author didnt intend it -- he/she might just not have thought of it.

--

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/11/85)

]From: rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev)
]
]> While the dog is intentionally the smartest and most worthwhile character in
]> the movie, the ending line is barbaric and abominable.  I believe the author
]> of the short story shares this opinion--it ain't in the story.
]>
]I must also quibble a bit here: "it ain't in the story" doesnt necessarily
]mean the author didnt intend it -- he/she might just not have thought of it.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

I am now looking for backers for a new production of ROMEO AND JULIET.

In this production, a kindly doctor will find the lovers at the last
possible moment and save them. He will then secret them off to France,
where they will have many children and live to a ripe old age.

I realize that this was not in Shakespeare's original work, but what did he
know.

Need I say it:  :-)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

pugh@topaz.ARPA (06/13/85)

From: "pugh jon%e.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

                WRONG!!!!!!!!!

> From Julian Gomez
> The ending is just as it is in the story, virtually word for word.  Some
> even consider the movie a two hour lead in for the ending punch line.

While that might be true about the lead-in, the ending was NOT the same as
the book (actually a short story).  A Boy and his Dog was originally
published in New Worlds (Great Britian) in 1969 and was then expanded for
it's publication in The Beast that Shouted Love at the World, it's first
American publication.

                              **** SPOILER  ****

The actual ending went like this, word for word.

  I looked up at her.  The sun was going down.  Blood trembled in my arms.
  She got a pouty look on her face.  "If you love me, you'll come on!"
  I couldn't make it alone out there without him.  I knew it.  If I loved
her.  She asked me, once in the boiler, do you know what love is?

It was a small fire, not nearly big enough for any roverpak to spot from the
outskirts of the city.  No smoke.  And after Blood had eaten his fill, I
carried him to the air-duct a mile away, and we spent the night inside, on a
little ledge.  I held him all night.  He slept good.  In the morning, I fixed
him up pretty good.  He'd make it; he was strong.
  He ate again.  There was plenty left from the night before.  I didn't eat.
I wasn't hungry.
  We started off across the blast wasteland that morning.   We'd find
another city, and make it.
  We had to move slow, because Blood was still limping.  It took a long time
before I stopped hearing her calling in my head.  Asking me, asking me: do
you know what love is?
  Sure I know.
  A boy loves his dog.

                             *** eos ***

I think that's a better ending than a silly punch line.  It was a better
story than it was a movie, but the movie was good too.  As usual, I recommend
this method; See the movie, then read the book.  You won't be disappointed
by the movie, and you'll love the added depth of the book.

Jon Pugh
pugh%e@lll-mfe.arpa

Accuracy must be worth something...

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (06/22/85)

My favorite line (which may have been in the book, the movie, or both, I'm
not sure...I've read/seen it too often, they've merged...):

"She kept asking me did I love her.  I know what love is:  a boy loves his
dog."

I'm sure this is badly quoted, but it gives the idea.

                                Muffy