[net.micro.atari16] Writing Desk Accessories in TDI Modula-2

terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA.UUCP (05/11/86)

I am currently interested in writing a desk accessory in TDI Modula-2 or
OSS Personal Pascal (which should be in the mail soon).

If someone has written a desk accessory in either of these languages,
perhaps they could send me a copy.

I tried just renaming the excutable file of one of my Modula-2 programs
to whatever.acc, and the OS doesn't manage to boot.

Are there any limitations associated with desk accessories?  Are they
restricted in the memory they can use?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Bergman-Terrell (CSNET Address terrell@ohio-state)

mckay@EE.PURDUE.EDU.UUCP (05/12/86)

Yes.  I'm writting a desk accessory in OSS Pascal.  The folks who wrote OSS
Pascal posted a whole series of helpful hints to CompuServe about a month
and a half ago.  These included instructions on how the make a desk
accessory, set up the serial port, make VDI and AES(?) calls, etc, etc.

I think all the stuff is in DL 3 in the 16 bit Atari SIG...

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Text & Workstation Software Support
[arpanet: mckay@ee.ecn.purdue.edu, usenet: ...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]
[Compu-serve: 75776,1521, office: EE 348B, phone: (317) 494-3561]

terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) (05/12/86)

Dwight,

Thanks for your letter.  Alas, I do not have access to Compuserve.
Perhaps you could send me a copy of the source for your desk accessory
when you're finished with it?

Thanks,

Eric Bergman-Terrell (CSNET ADDRESS terrell@ohio-state)

gordon@sage.cs.reading.Ac.Uk (Simon Gordon) (05/17/86)

In article <8605111518.AA11708@ohio-state.ARPA> terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA.UUCP writes:

>I am currently interested in writing a desk accessory in TDI Modula-2 or
>OSS Personal Pascal (which should be in the mail soon).
>
>If someone has written a desk accessory in either of these languages,
>perhaps they could send me a copy.
>
>I tried just renaming the excutable file of one of my Modula-2 programs
>to whatever.acc, and the OS doesn't manage to boot.
>
>Are there any limitations associated with desk accessories?  Are they
>restricted in the memory they can use?

Unfortunately, most of the companies selling languages saying you have full
access to GEM are TELLING FIBS !!!

Firstly, you need an RSC file editor - these are not supplied by most of the
companies and are needed to sort out the data for the pull down menus etc.
The only places I have seen this is in the DRI dev kit (if you have $300)
and with the MEGAMAX at about $200.

Secondly, to make a program an acc instead of a normal program one must link
it with a different startup routine, again not usualy supplied - and as TDI
use their own linker (not the usual DEV kit or GST compatible ones) you cant
even do it if you have the startup files from somewhere else.

Perhaps if we all write to all the companies selling languages that claim
full gem support but do not give it, we MIGHT get some action.

From a very annoyed user of TDI Modula 2, Metacomco Pascal and GST C.
Simon Gordon @ Sibly Hall - Reading University.

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (05/21/86)

In article <170@sage.cs.reading.Ac.Uk>, gordon@sage.cs.reading.Ac.Uk
(Simon Gordon) writes:

> Unfortunately, most of the companies selling languages saying you have full
> access to GEM are TELLING FIBS !!!
>
> Firstly, you need an RSC file editor - these are not supplied by most of the
> companies and are needed to sort out the data for the pull down menus etc.
> The only places I have seen this is in the DRI dev kit (if you have $300)
> and with the MEGAMAX at about $200.
>
> Secondly, to make a program an acc instead of a normal program one must link
> it with a different startup routine, again not usualy supplied - and as TDI
> use their own linker (not the usual DEV kit or GST compatible ones) you cant
> even do it if you have the startup files from somewhere else.
>
> From a very annoyed user of TDI Modula 2, Metacomco Pascal and GST C.
> Simon Gordon @ Sibly Hall - Reading University.

Personal Pascal does, in fact, allow you to create desk accessories WITHOUT
the resource construction set.  Complete instructions are included on
CompuServe, BIX, and the OSS BBS.  I will post it to the net ASAP.

--->Neil @ Atari
	...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil

mckay@EE.PURDUE.EDU (05/22/86)

You CAN write desk accessories in OSS Pascal!  The directions were posted to
Compuserve along with a small routine you link with a quite normal OSS
Pascal program.  I'll upload the directions and a sample DA if I get the
chance over the weekend...

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Text & Workstation Software Support
[arpanet: mckay@ee.ecn.purdue.edu, usenet: ...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]
[Compu-serve: 75776,1521, office: EE 348B, phone: (317) 494-3561]

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (05/28/86)

Simon Gordon, in an exasperated sounding posting, remarks that language
implementors are ripping users off by claiming that their languages provide
full Gem support when in fact they don't. I must disagree. I have used
TDI Modula-2 to write simple programs which use Gem (and they provide
a nifty program which uses pretty much all of VDI as a demo). The newest
version of TDI Modula-2 (they should be shipping it around now) is supposed
to come with a redone version of DRI's Resource Construction Set (different
bugs, presumably) and with source code for two desk accessories: a RAMdisk
and a print spooler.

Similarly, Personal Pascal can be used to write DA's. I don't know how, since
I don't use it. But I have seen extensive remarks on this subject on BIX
(the BYTE Information eXchange). I believe that OSS will send out information
on this stuff to any registered user of the package.

There certainly are poor language implementations around (and I have a few
gripes about TDI Modula-2). But the vendors *are* trying. Give them credit
for that.

gordon@sage.cs.reading.Ac.Uk (Simon Gordon) (06/03/86)

In article <259@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) writes:
>Simon Gordon, in an exasperated sounding posting, remarks that language
>implementors are ripping users off by claiming that their languages provide
>full Gem support when in fact they don't. I must disagree. I have used

I foun out about two weeks after sending this message about the new TDI
modula-2. But at a 25 pound (UK) update fee, that in effect ups the cost
of the compiler by 25%. If it wasnt for people like me buying these
languages (and the ST) when it first came out (and often waiting months
for delivery) then some of these companies would go bankrupt before
getting out the PROPER version.

METACOMCO charge a slightly better 10 pound update fee - but they dont
supply the acc object file or a resource editor. I have managed to
get copies of these that I can use with most languages - but no doubt
as soon as I pay for an update TDI will bring out yet another better
version and screw me for another 25 pounds if i want it.

SOME REPUTABLE COMPANIES (on other machines) PROVIDE FREE UPGRADES IF
YOU SEND IN THE ORIGANAL DISK (this doesnt stop you using a backup
while you wait for delivery.

Please, all the companies with more money than me - GIVE ME A CHANCE.
I am trying to keep up to date - when i can afford it.

Simon @ Reading