[net.micro.atari16] How to photograph color monitor?

jackson@mprvaxa.UUCP (Taylor Jackson) (05/28/86)

Can anyone out in netland give me pointers, hints on how to photograph
color monitor displays?

Thanks,
Taylor Jackson

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (06/02/86)

> Can anyone out in netland give me pointers, hints on how to photograph
> color monitor displays?
>
> Thanks,
> Taylor Jackson

Main thing is to use a slow shutter speed, no faster
than 1/32.  This is especially important with a focal-plane
shutter.  Slow film is fine because you can open your lens
all the way up, since no depth of field is needed.

El cheapo camers have slow blade shutters, so should work well
if you use fast film.  Parallax thru the viewfinder will
require some guesswork on anything other than an SLR.

If your camera has thru-the-lens light metering, use it and
believe it, provided you move in close enuf to fill the entire
viewfinder with the screen.  And of course, darken the room
as best you can.

I've had good luck with color and amber CRTs myself.
	mike k

rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (06/04/86)

In article <726@mprvaxa.UUCP> jackson@mprvaxa.UUCP (Taylor Jackson) writes:
>Can anyone out in netland give me pointers, hints on how to photograph
>color monitor displays?

There was a real nice article on how to do this about four years ago.

In short, it is reccomended that you use an SLR camera, mounted on
a tripod.  Darken the room as much as possible.  Set the shutter
speed for at least 1/2 second, preferably longer, and set your f
stop way down, say to f22, use a light meter to get the best setting.
If there is any "overscan" such as is found on ntsc monitors, the scan
lines will disappear.  An ST screen (mono) has just a little "crawl",
so your final picture will not look like a screen, but like a white
piece of paper.  Diagonal lines will still have a slight "stair case"
look as always, but vertical lines and most text will appear quite
solid.

Good luck.