[net.micro.atari16] Questions for Atari

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (06/03/86)

This is a mild complaint aimed at Atari - I hope I can get
a response out of Neil...(how 'bout it, Neil? ;-))

We purchased our ST back in January. My understanding was that
when I sent in the warrenty card, I would receive ST BASIC in the
mail along with a manual. Well, gosh, here it is June, and I haven't
heard word one from Atari. If I didn't buy a PASCAL and an Assembler,
I'd have been stuck with a $800 Logo-only machine. (*shudder*)

How's'bout sending me my property gang?! ;-)

 -----

Incidently, here is a seperate question also for the gang at Atari:

Neil ---
   What was the story behind the policy decision to make people who
already have Atari ST's purchase seperately the GEMDOS in ROM chips?
Since you are now providing them bundled with the ST at the same price,
don't you think it would have been "polite" to send out TOS chips to
all of us that bought the ST when it was still a "risky, new machine"?

Just curious....

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

          "If you can't trust wimp lawyers anymore,
                 who can you trust...?"
                        -- Mildred Krebs

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (06/04/86)

In article <2243@uwmacc.UUCP>, demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:

> We purchased our ST back in January. My understanding was that
> when I sent in the warrenty card, I would receive ST BASIC in the
> mail along with a manual. Well, gosh, here it is June, and I haven't
> heard word one from Atari.

Please send a letter to Atari Customer Relations, 1196 Borregas Ave.,
Sunnyvale CA 94086, Attn: ST BASIC.  Your card may have fallen through the
cracks.  Just tell us you need your ST BASIC disk and manual.

>    What was the story behind the policy decision to make people who
> already have Atari ST's purchase seperately the GEMDOS in ROM chips?

When you bought your machine, it had TOS on disk, and we let everyone know
that the ROM chip version would cost extra.  It cost more for us to
manufacture ST's back then, too.

--->Neil