[net.music] favorite Dance music

ckk@g.cs.cmu.edu (Chris Koenigsberg) (10/29/85)

My favorite Dance music is Sun Ra & his Intergalactic Research
Arkestra...haven't seen them for many years though. The ultimate
essence of movement, of freedom, of rhythm, multiplicity...
"Astro Black, in mystic time, astro natural, the universe
speaks through this song, the universe is in my voice, Astro black,
and Cosmos dark."

Other than that, reggae (good stuff, like Delroy Wilson, Steel
Pulse, not commercial disco crap like Third World) and
spaced out double-triple-time jazz are also good for dancing.
HPSCHD by John Cage and Lejaren Hiller, for harpsichords and
random computer-generated sounds, gets my feet moving.

I find the commercial disco SpyroGyra/Steely Dan type of
generic musicoid sounds to be far more offensive and feet-deadening
than even actual Muzak, which I'm sort of fond of...I tap my
toes in the dentist's office.

wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) (11/02/85)

As long as we're on the subject, MY favorite dance music is done
by the Grateful Dead.  Try them out sometime... you might like them.

lkk@teddy.UUCP (11/04/85)

In article <1275@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) writes:

>As long as we're on the subject, MY favorite dance music is done
>by the Grateful Dead.  Try them out sometime... you might like them.

Dancing to the Dead as you might in a disco would be pretty difficult.
First you have to discover that there's more to dancing than two
people flinging their genitals at each other.
You can tell someone who has danced at at GD concert, even when they're dancing
to different music.  The form is so much more SELF-expressive, rather than
showy or flashy.

--
Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa