[net.micro.atari16] DEGAS and CAD 3D

richa@tekred.UUCP (Rich Amber ) (06/04/86)

I have just acquired the DEGAS art program (for 520ST) and the
CAD 3D program.  If anyone else has these, perhaps you can help
me understand why I can't seem to print the art from CAD 3D.

I can successfully load and use CAD 3D. The printout function
only prints X,Y,Z coordinates. I've read the manual and find
the merest allusion to loading the SUPERVIEW picture file into
DEGAS to actually print the picture. There does not apear to be
a statement of hard fact as to how printing should be accomplished.

If I enter DEGAS and try to load any *.3D pic file, I get an error
message that says something like "file cannot be loaded because the
resolution is not compatible with current setting." Come on, give
me a break! I have a monochrome monitor and I used the file in the
CAD 3D program, but can't use it in DEGAS and I changed nothing.
So what's the problem?
                            Rich Amber
                            Redmond, Oregon (503) 923-4411

paone@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Phil Paone) (06/09/86)

One of the things that is checked when you try to load a file into
degas is the extension. Just try renaming it to the correct extension
and it might load. Also, look at the technical notes at the back of
the manual, they explain the format used by store files. It maybe
that, your file is stored in a different order like pallette settings
after the graphics data or something.

				Sarge

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (06/09/86)

In article <574@tekred.UUCP>, richa@tekred.UUCP (Rich Amber ) writes:
> If I enter DEGAS and try to load any *.3D pic file, I get an error
> message that says something like "file cannot be loaded because the
> resolution is not compatible with current setting." Come on, give
> me a break! I have a monochrome monitor and I used the file in the
> CAD 3D program, but can't use it in DEGAS and I changed nothing.
> So what's the problem?
>                             Rich Amber
>                             Redmond, Oregon (503) 923-4411

Not owning either program I can only make this suggestion.
DEGAS saves it's file with the resolution tacked on to the filename
extension. For example  xxxxxxxx.PI3 for monochrome (PI2 and PI1 for medium
and low rez).

Try renaming the CAD 3D file from xxxxxxxx.3D to xxxxxxxxx.PI {1 | 2 | 3}

For monochrome foo.3d becomes foo.pi3.

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company