[net.micro.atari16] Minor programming challenge...

russ@percival.UUCP (Russ Schwartz) (06/10/86)

["Old heros never die; they reappear in sequels" - M. Morecock]

I have got too many requests where I work for a way to turnkey programs that
use GEM (like BASIC, 1st-Word, etc.).  We first tried putting it into an
AUTO folder, but GEM doesn't get initialized before the the program gets
loaded so things look really bad!  Next we tried writing a desk accessory
that loads and runs the prespecified program, but nothing on the pull-down
menus of the program (BASIC) worked.  And exiting the program got a little
messy, it wouldn't finish initializing the system.

Here's what I'd like to see:
A desk accessory that from the desktop, you can select the program that you
want to run (save the filename in a data file). Then on bootup on that disk,
it will come up in the correct resolution (and colors, mayby) and autorun the
preselected file. And upon exiting the program, finish initializing normally.

This program would help a lot of people.  A child could put a disk in the
drive and turn the power on and presto! Neochrome is on the screen!
(By the way, Neil, any clues as to what the completed version of NEO will
contain and when it will be out?  I've heard it may contain animation
capabilities... will it be free to ST owners or cost what price?)

I hope someone out there can accomplish this challenge.

Russell Schwartz
russ@percival
omsi@reed

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (06/12/86)

In article <187@percival.UUCP>, russ@percival.UUCP (Russ Schwartz) writes:
> (By the way, Neil, any clues as to what the completed version of NEO will
> contain and when it will be out?  I've heard it may contain animation
> capabilities... will it be free to ST owners or cost what price?)

The final version of NEOchrome will indeed contain animation capabilities
and many other new features.  We plan to sell this one, though -- it won't
be a freebie any more.
--
--->Neil @ Atari

...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil   or ...lll-lcc!vecpyr!atari!neil
BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086