[net.micro.atari16] Atari Basic

dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. Dobbs) (06/14/86)

I recently pulled a basic program from "sources," and tried to
adapt it for Atari Basic (Yech).  It bombs out with a "Too many
FOR loops" error.  What does it mean?

Does Atari basic look for certain types of errors before it
begins program execution?  The first program line contained
"FULLW 2" and CLEARW 2," but neither happened.  Just the error.

Is there another BASIC available for the ST?  I really don't like
working with the windows.  Every program I've written in basic
has a couple of false starts when I clear windows or change
window sizes.  I would rather have full screen outputs without
the framed in appearance of the window.

Thanks

In article <631@marlin.UUCP> dobbs@cod.UUCP (Lynn B. Dobbs) writes:

>I recently pulled a basic program from "sources," and tried to
>adapt it for Atari Basic (Yech).  It bombs out with a "Too many
>FOR loops" error.  What does it mean?
>
>Does Atari basic look for certain types of errors before it
>begins program execution?  The first program line contained
>"FULLW 2" and CLEARW 2," but neither happened.  Just the error.

Many basic interpreters do a quick scan when you type run, to tie
together for/next loops, def fn - call, and data statements.

As to your particular error, it could mean you have to many for
loops, loops nested too deep, or problems with matching the control
variable on the for/next pair - some require a variable and some
don't.
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr