[net.sf-lovers] Carcinoma Angel

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (06/16/85)

For some reason the title "Carcinoma Angel" has been floating around in
my head.  I think it would make a good name for a rock group or
something.  In any case, I'm sure it's the title for an SF story I read,
but I can't remember where or what it is about.  I think it might have
been by Harlan Ellison.  Is this right?  Does anyone know what it is
about?

			-Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP {or ARPA}

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (06/17/85)

> For some reason the title "Carcinoma Angel" has been floating around in
> my head.  I think it would make a good name for a rock group or
> something.  In any case, I'm sure it's the title for an SF story I read,
> but I can't remember where or what it is about.  I think it might have
> been by Harlan Ellison.  Is this right?  Does anyone know what it is
> about?
>
> 			-Doug Alan
> 			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP {or ARPA}

That is a short story by Norman Spinrad. You'll find it in his
collection 'The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde'. A very good
book by the way

wjr@frog.UUCP (Bill Richard) (06/18/85)

> For some reason the title "Carcinoma Angel" has been floating around in
> my head.  I think it would make a good name for a rock group or
> something.  In any case, I'm sure it's the title for an SF story I read,
> but I can't remember where or what it is about.  I think it might have
> been by Harlan Ellison.  Is this right?  Does anyone know what it is
> about?
>
> 			-Doug Alan
> 			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP {or ARPA}

	If I remember correctly the name of the story is "Carcinoma Angels"
by Norman Spinrad. It appeared in the first _Dangerous_Visions_ which may
explain why you though of Ellison.

--
----
William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (06/18/85)

it was also in the Again, Dangerous Visions collection edited by Harlan
Ellison.  it's once again in print in softcover (if it was ever out of
print).  a highly reccommended two-volume series.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) (06/18/85)

Carcinoma Angel is the title of a short story by Norman Spinrad.

Daniel
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2500 Colorado MD 52-46; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6493
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

Don't have good ideas if you aren't willing to be responsible for them.
                                 -- A. J. Perlis, SIGPLAN 17:9 Sept 1982

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (06/18/85)

--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any

scifi@ukc.UUCP (I.P.Gordon) (06/20/85)

One usage of the name 'Carcinoma Angel(s)' that I have come across is for a
very silly game on computers.  You have parachuted down onto Carcinoma Island
which is square, about 15x15, having a number of infinitely deep potholes, down
which it is fatal to fall, and a number of Carcinoma Angels, who keep walking
towards you. If a C.A. touches you, you die. The idea is to lure them all
down the potholes.

	I.Gordon

	So Long And Thanks For All The Wallabies

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (06/20/85)

In article <4476@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>For some reason the title "Carcinoma Angel" has been floating around in
>my head.  I think it would make a good name for a rock group or
>something.  In any case, I'm sure it's the title for an SF story I read,
>but I can't remember where or what it is about.  I think it might have
>been by Harlan Ellison.  Is this right?  Does anyone know what it is
>about?
>
>			-Doug Alan
>			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP {or ARPA}

It is a title, *I* think it was Michael Morrcock but I wouldn't swear to
it, and where's jayembeee when we need him?

--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (06/24/85)

 >For some reason the title "Carcinoma Angel" has been
 >floating around in my head.  I think it would make a good
 >name for a rock group or something.  In any case, I'm sure
 >it's the title for an SF story I read, but I can't remember
 >where or what it is about.  I think it might have been by
 >Harlan Ellison.  Is this right?  Does anyone know what it is
 >about?

Let me be the first of the 139 people who are going to answer this one.
"The Carcinoma Angels" is a story by Norman Spinrad from his collection
LAST HURRAH OF THE GOLDEN HORDE.  It contains images of cancer cells
riding through the characters body like motercycle riders.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper