[net.micro.atari16] WILL A FLOATING-POINT-COPROCESSOR OPTION EVER HAPPEN ??

menton@v5130b.DECnet ("V5130B::MENTON") (06/13/86)

see the option of adding a floating-point-coprocessor such as the MC68881?
The convenience of running Fortran at home would be nicely augmented by a
10(+)-fold increase in number-crunching speed.  Neil ??
						Bob Menton
						MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS
------

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (06/17/86)

In article <8606131438.AA01222@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, menton@v5130b.DECnet
("V5130B::MENTON") writes:
> see the option of adding a floating-point-coprocessor such as the MC68881?
> The convenience of running Fortran at home would be nicely augmented by a
> 10(+)-fold increase in number-crunching speed.  Neil ??

It looks likely that our 32-bit computer (the "TT") will have a math
coprocessor.  The TT is being designed as an add-on box for the ST (through
the DMA channel).  It will use the ST's I/O and graphics, but will perform
its own processing and have its own RAM.  I will see how much more I can
find out and transmit to you right now -- please don't request more info,
this is all I have to give you right now.

--

--->Neil @ Atari

...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil   or ...lll-lcc!vecpyr!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

mckay@EE.PURDUE.EDU (06/19/86)

Please do get more info on the "TT" Neil!  If it's possible I'd like to know
when it may be available (late this year, early or late next year?) as I am
considering another system which will suport UNIX...

Also any other juicey facts (specs, flavour of UNIX (Sys V, BSD, etc)) would
be greatly appreciated!!

--ddm