[net.micro.atari16] Summer 1986 START magazine TOC

store2@ihuxi.UUCP (Wilcox) (06/16/86)

		    *****[Ignore header path]*****

		START Vol 1, Number 1 (Summer 1986)

page	article

6	EDITORIAL
		Explanation of purpose of START and type of market it
		is marketed for.
8	AUTHORS
		A thumbnail sketch of the authors of the articles in this
		issue including Tom Hudson and Russ Wetmore.
12	CAPTURING MUSIC ON THE ST--A MIDI SEQUENCER by Tom Jeffries
		Take advantage of your ST's built-in MIDI interface.  This
		Simple Sequencer lets you record, save to disk, and play-
		back music created on your synthesizer.
21	STEALING THE ST PRINTER DRIVER by Tom Hudson
		This Desk Accessory lets you install your own customized
		printer driver for either vertical or horizontal screen
		dumps at the press of the [Alt] [Help] key. Requires TOS
		in ROM.
29	MOVING 16-COLOR OBJECTS by Joe Chiazzese
		Using AL routines within a C structure, this article
		demonstrates how to move 16-color objects (created with the
		C.O.L.R. Object Editor) swiftly around the screen.
32	THE DIGITAL MAGNET by David Small
		This spectacularly colorful graphics program simulates
		magnetic field line generation.  Works in any resolution.
36	TRACKING THE ELUSIVE GDOS by Tim Oren
		A valuable examination of GDOS and metafiles by the programmer
		who helped write the GEM system.
44	PRACTICAL SOFTWARE FOR THE NON-DEVELOPER by Jack Powell
		A quick overview of various Word Processors, Databases,
		Spreadsheets and Languages available for the ST usrs.
50	DISK INSTRUCTIONS
		How to use the companion disk if you bought the magazine
		and disk combination.
52	SOPHISTICATED TEXT HANDLING by Cory Cole
		How to manipulate text in GEM.  A thorough investigation
		of sophisticated text handling.
60	VOODOO COMPUTING by David Small
		The pragmatic art of defensive programming.
64	PROCEDURES: AL AND C ROUTINES... by Dan Matejka
		These two AL routines, plus a full, C "help" text window
		modules will speed your programs and make them more
		professional.
69	CHIPS: OF DIAGNOSTICS AND DEBUGGING by Jim Dunion
		A detailed look at the art of debugging the 68000, plus a
		dream list of what the best-dressed 68000 debugger may be
		wearing this season.
77	REVIEW: ST ASSEMBLERS by Chris Chabris
		A quick look at what is available for the ST.
83	REVIEW: UNIX FOR THE ST by Russ Wetmore
		A review of the uses and capabilities of MICRO C-SHELL
		by David Beckemeyer Development Tools.
88	RESOURSES by DeWitt Robbeloth
		A look at the books available for the ST by Abacus and
		other publishers.

Comments:  The magazine is designed for experienced computer users who
	own the ST computer.  It contains high-end information that
	requires a good grounding in computer fundamentals and practices.
	The articles do not include program listings that you can type in.
	They are all included on a disk that comes bound in the magazine
	if you buy the $14.95 version or that can be bought separately if
	you just buy the $4 magazine.  This is the only issue of the
	magazine I plan to submit to the net.  If another user wants to
	do so, feel free.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					1100 E. Warrenville Rd.
					Naperville, IL 60566
					...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) (06/18/86)

In article <1360@ihuxi.UUCP> store2@ihuxi.UUCP writes:

>		    *****[Ignore header path]*****
>
>		START Vol 1, Number 1 (Summer 1986)

    (descriptions of various articles)

>Comments:  The magazine is designed for experienced computer users who
>	own the ST computer.  It contains high-end information that
>	requires a good grounding in computer fundamentals and practices.
>	The articles do not include program listings that you can type in.
>	They are all included on a disk that comes bound in the magazine
>	if you buy the $14.95 version or that can be bought separately if
>	you just buy the $4 magazine.  This is the only issue of the
>	magazine I plan to submit to the net.  If another user wants to
>	do so, feel free.
>
>					Kit Kimes
>					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
>					1100 E. Warrenville Rd.
>					Naperville, IL 60566
>					...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

O.k. Kit, how can we get a subscription to this magazine?  It sounds
great!

--
Richard E. Sansom
TRW Electronics & Defense Sector

store2@ihuxi.UUCP (Wilcox) (06/24/86)

> great!

		    *****[Ignore header path]*****

I got several requests for ordering information for STart magazine.
I was going to send this information privately since I don't want
to be accused of commercializing the net but since I was asked to
provide this information publicly, I will do so.

STart magazine is published quarterly by Antic Publishing.  It is
or should be shortly available at better book stores, magazine stands and
computer stores that carry Atari ST computers for $4 for the magazine or
$14.95 for the magazine and the disk of programs together.  I'm
sure that combination will be hard to find an magazine stands/book stores.
You can only subscribe to STart in combination with ANTIC magazine.  You get 4
issues of STart with the program disks and 12 issues of ANTIC for $59.95.  You
can't get just STart and the program disks by subscription but since
you are basicly getting ANTIC free, it's a pretty good deal.  Especially
when you consider ANTIC is still going to carry the ST Resource part
of the magazine.  It contains a lot or reviews and new product announcements,
etc.  If you want to write, their address is:

		STart
		Antic Publishing
		524 Second St.
		San Francisco, CA 94107

If you want to charge it to your credit card, you can call their
toll free number 800-443-0100.  Hope this answers all questions about
subscribing.  End of commercial...

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					1100 E. Warrenville Rd.
					Naperville, IL 60566
					...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

Disclaimer:  I have no monetary or employment connection with
	     Antic Publishing.