[net.micro.atari16] Question on processor expansion

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (06/20/86)

	Anybody know if it's possible to upgrade the ST's 68000 to a
68010 or 68020?

			-Matt

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (06/23/86)

In article <8606201839.AA06129@pavepaws>, dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

> 	Anybody know if it's possible to upgrade the ST's 68000 to a
> 68010 or 68020?
>
> 			-Matt

As far as I've been able to determine the ST does no checking on boot for
the type of 68000 installed.  Therefore the exception handling routines in
TOS will bomb (ie. lockup) miserably.  Further (and I've mentioned this
before) some dimwit went and put the exception numbers in the upper byte of
the exception vectors!!!!  Odviously this will give you an 'E' ticket into
the Twilight Zone on the 020!

Much of the system software in the ST is really JUNK.  In Atari's defense
however, they never claimed upwards compatibility among future machine
archetectures (SP?).   Still I'd pay another $50-$75 to get a new version of
TOS in ROM (2.0 ?).  No, this is not rumored.  I just want Atari to know if
they ever WERE to decided to re-write some of TOS/GEMDOS themselves (and
get it right) instead of DRI's junk, *I'd* be willing to pay for it.

Neil?  Others???? Comments???

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

robt@molihp.UUCP (Robert L Thurlow) (06/26/86)

In article <477@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@elmgate.UUCP writes:
> ... Still I'd pay another $50-$75 to get a new version of
>TOS in ROM (2.0 ?).  No, this is not rumored.  I just want Atari to know if
>they ever WERE to decided to re-write some of TOS/GEMDOS themselves (and
>get it right) instead of DRI's junk, *I'd* be willing to pay for it.

  I, too, would pay more money to get rid of a few problems.  It was not
great to get the TOS in ROM and try my favorite  bug-hunting  procedures
only to find most of the bugs  still  there.  It was  great to  liberate
that  memory,  and it was well  worth  the cost to get the quick  reboot
time, but there are still  bugs  there.  Hell, I/O  redirection  doesn't
even  work  sometimes  now.  And I agree it  would  be great  to get the
ability to drop a 68010 in there.  (I'll  wait  awhile for the '020 :  I
heard yesterday that it is priced at $530 CDN for the 12.5 Mhz part.)

  BTW, anybody got a definitive list of bugs in TOS?

#   UUCP : ...!ubc_vision!molihp!robt		Robert Thurlow		#
#   My thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.	#
#   "There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a	#
#    Pisces, probably working for scale."	-Nick Danger, 3rd Eye	#

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (06/27/86)

I fail to see the attraction of the 68010. It's not substantially faster,
and the few extra instructions it offers are unlikely to do a great deal
in speeding up programs. The major virtue of the 68010 is that it supports
demand paging, which is useful in virtual memory systems. The existing
ST MMU renders this advantage dubious.

The 68020 adds a fair number of instructions (notably 32-bit multiply and
divide), and is in general a winner. On the other hand, there is little
point in trying to add a 68020 to the ST directly, so I'm eagerly awaiting
the TT box. Neil Harris, are you listening????

I'm dubious about a $530 CDN price for the 68020, though: the July issue of
BYTE has an article on the Definicon 68020 co-processor board for the IBM
PC. Including 1MB of memory, a 68020, and a 68881 (FPU), the price they list
is US$995. That would cause me to guess that (in reasonable quantities) you
can get a 68020 for ~ $150 US.

robt@molihp.UUCP (Robert L Thurlow) (06/27/86)

In article <297@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) writes:
>I fail to see the attraction of the 68010.

Just a little nicer, and several friends have them from those Motorola kits.
Some things would be a squeak faster, though I doubt I'd *desolder* the 68000
in my 520ST to use it.

>I'm dubious about a $530 CDN price for the 68020, though: the July issue of
>BYTE has an article on the Definicon 68020 co-processor board for the IBM
>PC. Including 1MB of memory, a 68020, and a 68881 (FPU), the price they list
>is US$995. That would cause me to guess that (in reasonable quantities) you
>can get a 68020 for ~ $150 US.

$530 CDN it is - single quantity from L. A. Varah, as of 86/06/25.  Shouldn't
stay that way for long though, I agree.