[net.micro.atari16] TDI Modula-2 V2.0 released?

dorrestn@nvpna1.UUCP (Frans Dorrestein ) (07/07/86)

Rumours say that TDI's Modula-2 version 2.0 is on the way to replace version
1.4 and 1.10. However I still haven't seen it yet. Has anybody in netland
seen it, or even better used it already? If not, does anybody how long it
will take until version 2.0 shows up?

Frans Dorrestein.

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (07/13/86)

In article <29@nvpna1.UUCP> dorrestn@nvpna1.UUCP (Frans Dorrestein (7)42987)
writes:
>Rumours say that TDI's Modula-2 version 2.0 is on the way to replace version
>1.4 and 1.10. However I still haven't seen it yet. Has anybody in netland
>seen it, or even better used it already? If not, does anybody how long it
>will take until version 2.0 shows up?

I've had my copy for the last three weeks. It's really great; the horrendous
problems which the original version had with pathnames involving
subdirectories have been completely eliminated, and the Modula desktop is a
real convenience (though it still has a couple of annoying quirks). The
documentation is *much* better, and, all in all, it's a real improvement.

The developer's version costs about US$70 more, but it's worth it: you get
the ETHZ post-mortem debugger, and the Megamax Resource Construction Set.
This latter is a big win over the DRI one: for one thing, it works, and
for another, it generates Modula-syntax header files.

The only thing is that TDI still seems to have problems in the shipping
area. It arrived (via UPS second-day service) three weeks after they assured
me all back orders had been shipped. I never bothered to track it down,
so the fault might have been TDI's or UPS's.