[net.micro.atari16] WANTED: terminal emulator

leo@sunybcs.UUCP (Leo Wilson) (07/05/86)

<MUNCH, MUNCH bug at lunch>

  Has anyone seen or heard of a terminal emulator that'll allow 132 columns
on an ST with a monochrome monitor? ANSI compatability would be nice, too,
but not required.  I really don't think such a beast is available right now
(I've been watching an assortment of rags & BBS's), but is anyone working
on it?  Any rumors that your developement house might begin work on it in
the next 3 months or so?
  I'm thinking about doing this myself if noone with a support plan is going
to, and I'll post it to the world for free if I do, but I'd rather pay
for a program from a reputable software house than write anything that I
know I won't have time to support...
  Not that I'm complaining. I've been using MOTU's PC InterComm with nothing
but good results for awhile now. Good, reliable file transfer, no loss of
data in interactive use, a handy utility for dialing up later, etc.
However, I *need* 132 columns.
  Any pointers would be appreciated, including references to conversations
about friends of second cousins overheard on the 2 AM bus...
Thanks much,   -Leo
--
Leo E. Wilson(leo@buffalo.csnet)
Niagara Paper Company

pc@ukc.ac.uk (R.P.A.Collinson) (07/09/86)

Hmm.. well the Monochrome ST has 640 pixels across the screen.
640/132=4.84 (recurring) - this is a bit little to see. In fact, I
think that the 6*6 character set in the ST (106 characters) is too
small to do any real work with.

I used the 8*8 character set for a bit and found this tiring - this was
not because of the smallness of the characters but that the aspect
ratio was wrong, I think. The letters in words were too far apart.

I have found that the best small set is one derived from the 8*8 set -
a 7*8 set is possible to work with but only gives 91 screen
characters. I add two extra lines between the characters giving me a
40 line, 91 character wide terminal.

My conclusion therefore is that 132 character wide terminals are not
really possible on the ST for humans not equipped with binoculars.

collinge@uvicctr.UUCP (07/13/86)

In article <1681@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> pc@ukc.ukc.ac.uk (R.P.A.Collinson) writes:
>Hmm.. well the Monochrome ST has 640 pixels across the screen.
>640/132=4.84 (recurring) - this is a bit little to see. In fact, I
>
>My conclusion therefore is that 132 character wide terminals are not
>really possible on the ST for humans not equipped with binoculars.

I used a home-brew 7x3 font to get 70 cols on my Apple for months of heavy
work.  Perfectly readable with a little work on the font and I didn't have
to wear binoculars.  On the ST it might be a bit teensy, however...
Doug.

--
		Doug Collinge
		School of Music, University of Victoria,