[net.sf-lovers] ST ban in Texas

godwin@uci-icse (06/25/85)

From: Dave Godwin <godwin@uci-icse>

	I don't believe that the ban is still in effect.  I do not recall
all of the banned episodes specifically, but do recall exactly that the
episode 'Bread and Circuses', the episode where the Enterprise crew runs
into (sic) a very Earth type planet with a version of the Roman Empire.
Except that this is prox 20th century Earth, and Rome never fell.  The
episode was banned because the culture on this planet had parallels to
both the Romans, and to an underground christian culture based upon it's
own Christ figure.
	The powers that be stepped on the episode, apparently because
Earth is the only planet in the cosmos God is looking out for.

			Dave

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (06/25/85)

> From: Dave Godwin <godwin@uci-icse>
>

> 	I don't believe that the ban is still in effect.  I do not recall
> all of the banned episodes specifically, but do recall exactly that the
> episode 'Bread and Circuses', ...
> was banned because the culture on this planet had parallels to
> both the Romans, and to an underground christian culture based upon it's
> own Christ figure.
> 	The powers that be stepped on the episode, apparently because
> Earth is the only planet in the cosmos God is looking out for.

No, the ban isn't still in effect. (or at least enforcement is very
lax. :-)  I saw "Bread and Circuses" on Austin's ABC affiliate just
last week.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett