[net.micro.atari16] battery backup for clock

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (07/11/86)

I'd like to have some information on a battery backup for the internal
clock in the 520 ST.  I know someone posted a scheme for doing this
many months back;  has anyone tried anything of the sort?  With
success?  I would appreciate hearing about any experiences anyone may
have had concerning this.  Please reply directly to me at the address
given below, I'll summarise to the net if I get something.  Thanks,

						-ravi

				      [   ihnp4!mcnc!ravi ]
				      [  decvax!mcnc!ravi ]

mugc@utecfa.UUCP (ModemUserGroupChairman) (07/13/86)

[+]

Hello All!

ikbd (intelligent keyboard) clock:

My experience has shown that when the RESET* line is
pulled low while reseting the ST, this -ve edge
propogates to all the chips listening to the RESET* line
(the ikbd chip being one of them). This causes the
ikbd chip to reset, and in the process of going through
the reset, it sets the time to some magic date in 1985.

Is this true, or is something else changing the time.
I cut the RESET line going to the keyboard, and now
I don't lose the time across resets which seems to indicate
that this is indeed the problem. However, I don't recommend
doing this because it will void your warranty, and if there
is a better solution, your board will be marred for life :-)
Mine is so hacked beyond recognition that one more hack ...

	Anees Munshi

-
		Anees Munshi
		@ University of Toronto Engineering Comp. Facility :A
		{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsri!utecfa!mugc
                {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsri}!utecfa!utecfb!munshi

robt@molihp.UUCP (07/17/86)

In article <1517@alvin.mcnc.UUCP> ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) writes:

>I'd like to have some information on a battery backup for the internal
>clock in the 520 ST.  I know someone posted a scheme for doing this
>many months back;  has anyone tried anything of the sort?  With
>success?  I would appreciate hearing about any experiences anyone may
>have had concerning this.  Please reply directly to me at the address
>given below, I'll summarise to the net if I get something.  Thanks,

  I have been playing with ways to keep the time from being destroyed on
my ST.  I never turn my machine off, so I don't need battery backup, but
I do want to get up after a reset  without  having to set the time again
and again.  A major culprit is the control panel desk  accessory,  which
sets the date to noon, May 17, 1985 whether  there is a time still valid
in the  keyboard  clock or not.  When I tried doing  without the control
panel, my time was fine as long as I had a calendar  desk  accessory  on
the boot disk.  I assume what is happening is that the keyboard clock is
undisturbed  over a reboot cycle, and the desk  accessory is setting the
TOS time to that in the keyboard  clock.  When a power cycle is done, or
when that  calendar  is not  around,  the time comes up as noon, Nov 20,
1985.

  Anyway, the control  panel is 15K and doesn't  work the way it should,
so I was more than happy to turf it and solve the problems of not having
it.  One thing was that I had to write a (one line!)  program to set the
printer  driver  to  expect an Epson  printer  for  screen  dumps.  This
preference is recorded in the  desktop.inf  file, but is ignored without
the control panel.  Curiously, the mouse and keyboard  sensitivities ARE
used  without  the  control  panel.  To set the  time,  you also  need a
program  which sets the keyboard  clock time; until you power off again,
your time will be fine.

  BTW, a followup  from Anees Munshi said he cut the RESET line going to
the  keyboard.  I *think* that line is only pulled low on power-up,  and
the reset is a non-maskable  interrupt.  That would explain why the time
can survive a reboot but not a power-up with my method.

#   UUCP : ...!ubc_vision!molihp!robt		Robert Thurlow		#
#   My thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.	#
#   "There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a	#
#    Pisces, probably working for scale."	-Nick Danger, 3rd Eye	#