[net.micro.atari16] TDI Modula

domeshek@YALE.ARPA (Eric Domeshek) (07/22/86)

Does anyone out there know what is included in the TDI Modula-2
developer's package beyond what is included in the basic language
package?  Come to think of it, what's included with the basic
language?  I'd appreciate comments from anyone with experience
using either version.  How about developer's packages in general;
are there any out there worth the cost?

Thanks in advance.  If you don't want to clutter the net you can
send directly to me as:

Net: ARPA:          Domeshek-Eric@yale
     UUCP:          ...!yale!Domeshek-Eric
     BITNET:        Domeshek@yalecs

-Eric

rling@UW-JUNE.ARPA (07/23/86)

The regular version of TDI Modula-2 (release 2.00A) ($79.95) includes:

    - GEM based editor
    - compiler
    - optimizing linker  (removes uncalled procedures)
    - its own desktop that allows edit/compile/link of files by
      merely clicking on file icons
    - a desk accessory that sets the search paths for the Modula-2
      system, heap size and some other compile/link options
    - modules that provide full interface to GEM DOS, AES, VDI,
      BIOS and XBIOS
    - 370 page manual

The developers version ($149.95), in addition, includes:

    - symbolic debugger that uses GEM windows
    - source file cross referencer
    - symbol and link file disassembler
        symbol file decodes to give a definition module and link
        file decodes to give code in 68K assembly language
    - Megamax resource construction program

    The editor is GEM based but also makes use of function keys.
It is quite slow both in editing and reading and writing files.
It makes use of error files produced during compilation to flag errors.
When the cursor is at an error, a short description of the error is
displayed.
    The optimizing linker is a real improvement.  It is not unusual
to get a 75% reduction in the size of the final program.  With
optimization, the final code size is comparable to that produced by
the Alcyon C.  (Your mileage may differ.)
    The Modula-2 desktop facilitates the edit/compile/link cycle.
Files are represented as icons and are separated into 5 categories
(DEF, IMP, SYM, LNK, PRG).  Clicking on the definition or
implementation icons invokes the editor on the source file; clicking on
the symbol or link file icons invokes the compiler and clicking on the
program icon invokes the linker (if the link file is not present or is
out-of-date, the compiler is called first).
    There is space for 4 search paths each being a maximum of 15
characters long.  I think that both of these are severe limitations.
You can't go very deep into the file structure unless you have really
short directory names.
    The symbol and link file decoders are useful in finding compiler
bugs and bugs in other people's programs.
    Speaking of bugs; there are already updates for a few of the I/O
modules.  I've also found one in the XBIOS module (using the link file
decoder, of course).  Sometimes I think that WE are the beta testers.
    The manual contains no documentation on GEM, AES or VDI.

- Robert Ling   <rling@uw-june.arpa>

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (07/24/86)

In article <8607221559.AA04339@Yale-Bulldog.YALE.ARPA> domeshek@YALE.ARPA.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone out there know what is included in the TDI Modula-2
>developer's package beyond what is included in the basic language
>package?  Come to think of it, what's included with the basic
>language?

The basic package includes an editor (which many people including me
don't like very much, but does have a very nice "find next compilation
error" command), compiler, linker, library, Modula-2 desktop, and
Modula-2 options desk accessory (the latter lets you set search paths
among other things). The library includes GEM/VDI interface.

The developer's version adds a number of disassemblers, a simple
post-mortem debugger, source file cross-referencer, a "high-level"
GEM package, source code for a ramdisk and printer spooler in M2,
and Megamax's outstanding resource editor. The latter alone, if
you do any GEM programming, is worth the developer's price.

The system overall is pretty good (there are a few warts on some
of the programs, and there are still reputed to be a fair number
of bugs in the library, though I've not encountered very many).
TDI is a pretty responsive company, and overall I recommend the
product.