[net.micro.atari16] 68020

DPickett@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA (07/22/86)

     Actually, with its dynamic bus sizing and cache, it is simple to
make a board with some 32 bit memory (optional but desirable) and a
68020 to replace the 68000 directly.  The 68020 can detect that the
memory is only 16 or 8 bit as it selects it, and use more cycles if
necessary for the data being accessed.  This makes it the most
drop-in-able of 32 bit micros, it could go into the 800xl or such, and
address all the little guy's memory and peripherals as part of its
address range.  It should be an addin, not a followon only.

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (07/24/86)

In article <860722125056.438578@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>, DPickett@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA writes:

>      Actually, with its dynamic bus sizing and cache, it is simple to
> make a board with some 32 bit memory (optional but desirable) and a
> 68020 to replace the 68000 directly.

Of course almost any CPU can replace any other if the proper hardware
glue is installed.  The much larger problem is handling the kernel level
problems.  As I'm sure your aware the stack frames generated by the 68020
(and 010) are not all together compatible. The kernel has to look at the
stored format number or it's a gone'r.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company