[net.micro.atari16] Atari ST Fortran Query

ram@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) (07/24/86)

Does anyone know of a Fortran for the Atari 1040ST?  Comments on
the Fortran would be real nice but at present I'll be happy even
with an availability report.   Please reply directly to me since
for some reason our mailer has fallen behind the mailing list.

Thanx a lot... Ashwin.

ARPA:   Ram-Ashwin@yale
UUCP:   ...!{decvax, etc.}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET: Ram@yalecs

-------

jafischer@watnot.UUCP (Jonathan Fischer) (07/25/86)

In article <8607241324.AA28878@Yale-Bulldog.YALE.ARPA> ram@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) writes:

>Does anyone know of a Fortran for the Atari 1040ST?  Comments on
>the Fortran would be real nice but at present I'll be happy even
>with an availability report.   Please reply directly to me since
>for some reason our mailer has fallen behind the mailing list.
>
>Thanx a lot... Ashwin.

Prospero Fortran has been available (from the U.K.) for, oh, a month or two.
Unfortunately, it was not reviewed too positively in the latest Antic.  The
reviewer did some sort of benchmark, and probably did it wrong, because the
guy I know who has Prospero Fortran wrote the same benchmark and it executed
in about 1/20th of the time that the reviewer listed.
Prospero has ads in Antic, I think.  Check it out there.

/* usual disclaimer... no association etc. with Prospero. */
				Jonathan Fischer

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (07/25/86)

A company called Prospero software has an ST implementation called
Pro Fortran. There is (I think) another Fortran by Absoft, the people
who wrote Microsoft Fortran for the Mac. You might look in ANTIC magazine
for ads.

I don't know anything about either of these, as my interest in Fortran
is less than epsilon.