[net.micro.atari16] Abacus books and Data Becker

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (07/30/86)

In article <96100017@unido.UUCP> uh@unido.UUCP writes:
>Another hint:
>
>The Abacus books are English translations of books written by one of the
>biggest German Atari Dealers (Data Becker in Duesseldorf; Becker also imports
>fine American cars to Germany).

Stay away from Data Becker.  They are not a reputable company.

I wrote a popular assembler for the 6502 which Data Becker sold pirated
copies of.  We didn't find out until Abacus start selling it in North
America.  It was odd to read my own manual after it had been translated
into German and back to English.

Abacus dropped the product after they found out it was stolen, but I don't
know if I'll ever get anything out of Data Becker.  International lawsuits
are quite expensive.

Anyway, a company that would do this sort of thing (even if they didn't
know it was stolen  -- they should check their authors to some extent)
doesn't deserve anybody's business in my opinion.