[net.micro.atari16] Control Panel

graham@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Graham Roberts) (07/19/86)

I was playing with the control panel recently and noticed something strange.
It appears to be constructed from an object tree displayed inside a window.
The "window" can be moved and closed. Most of the time the panel is redrawn
when it is uncovered or selected but sometimes it disappears.
However, the panel can still be displayed when there are four other windows
already on the screen. I thought there was a limit of four windows?
So, how is the control panel displayed and controlled??
Does it use a window?

Graham
graham@uk.ac.qmc.cs

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston L. Bannister) (07/31/86)

In article <173@cs.qmc.ac.uk> graham@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Graham Roberts) writes:
{...}
>However, the panel can still be displayed when there are four other windows
>already on the screen. I thought there was a limit of four windows?
>So, how is the control panel displayed and controlled??
>Does it use a window?

I believe the GEM limit on the number of windows is 8.  The GEM desktop limits
the number of open directory windows to 4 so that there are windows availible
for desk accessories (like the control panel).

Preston L. Bannister
USENET:  ucbvax!trwrb!felix!preston