[net.micro.atari16] terminal emulator with 132 columns

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (07/25/86)

Date: 25 July 1986, 10:19:53 GMT
From: Simon Poole                                    K538915  at CZHRZU1A
To:   INFO-ATA at SU-SCORE

Subj: Wanted: terminal emulator with 132 columns

(I'm writing this in reply to a message I read on UUCP, so maybe this
 response will be at info-atari16 before the original letter)

Leo,
  I just finished writing a VT100 emulator with a Tek4010 vector mode with
zoooooooom  (probably I'll post it to the net some time) and one of the
two things I haven't implemented (yet) is 132 columns, the other is double
height/width characters. I just don't see how it can be done without scrolling
sideways, to get 132 characters on one screen you need a 4x6 (or 4x8 or 4x16)
font and I just don't belive that you will be able to read it at all (you can
hardly read it on a VT100), if a scroll sideways (or rather jump sideways) mode
would be enough I probaly could build that into my program.

               Simon.

P.S. Neil, its awfully frustrating reading about all the PD programs you have
     on the Atari BBS and having no possibility at getting them (hint, hint).

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (07/28/86)

In article <8607251323.AA05208@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET writes:

> Neil, its awfully frustrating reading about all the PD programs you have
> on the Atari BBS and having no possibility at getting them (hint, hint).

So what would you like me to do about it?  That's why we have the BBS -- to
distribute the software.  What alternatives are there?  We'd like to go with
a national service (i.e. CompuServe, GENIE) but most of the software is there
already so obvoiusly you can't afford that.  And we don't want to get into
the business of duplicating disks of the stuff (and having to support it).

--->Neil
--
--->Neil @ Atari

...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil   or ...lll-lcc!vecpyr!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

parsons@utcsri.UUCP (Darrell J. Parsons) (08/02/86)

In article <402@atari.UUcp> neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) writes:
>In article <8607251323.AA05208@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET writes:
>
>> Neil, its awfully frustrating reading about all the PD programs you have
>> on the Atari BBS and having no possibility at getting them (hint, hint).
>
>So what would you like me to do about it?  That's why we have the BBS -- to
>distribute the software.  What alternatives are there?  We'd like to go with
>a national service (i.e. CompuServe, GENIE) but most of the software is there
>already so obvoiusly you can't afford that.  And we don't want to get into
>the business of duplicating disks of the stuff (and having to support it).
What about the net? Weren't UUDECODE/SHAR/COMPRESS etc. all written with that
VERY purpose in mind.

Alec Saunders. (Not Darrell Parsons)