[net.micro.atari16] I*S Talk by Batteries Included, review follows.

Flash@UMass.BITNET (Rick Flashman) (07/29/86)

Hi,
       I just purchased I*S Talk by Batteries Included. Basically, what I can
say is that the product seems like a good one, but version 1.00 should not
have been released to the market, too many bugs. It is so full of bugs, that
one cannot use some of its main advertised features. If one attempts to use
CUT & PASTE you are going to find yourself with a facefull of cherry bombs
and out on the desktop very fast. Also, its FUNCTION key accessory which is
supposed to let you access ALL of GEM without the mouse, just about, only
works one in every 10 tries. The 50,000 spelling dictionary only works on
the buffer or compose window and NOT on entered text, making it useless.
Forcing one to use THUNDER instead. The program will also crash into more
cherry bombs if you add a new entry and don't give it a breather before
pointing at a menu item. It does have some fast text scrolling, but it could
use some inprovement. If you leave he mouse over certain parts of the window,
the mouse will overwrite the text. The documentation is very confusing and
frustrating. The built in HELP functions are useless, but cute. It is missing
such basic features, that you would not believe. I use a system that
provides for me all the linefeeds I need, but it is impossible to turn off
linefeeds from the terminal, ARGH! The compose window is cute, but doesn't
allow you to enter more than one line at a time. So not very usefull.
The buffer is efficient, but it is NO use without CUT&PASTE. The docs are
so bad, that after several hours with the docs, I still have not been able
to sucessfully use the KEYS and REPLAY functions at all without crashing.
I feel I am using an Amiga with all these crashes. Yucko. With all the
hip about B.I. products they turn out to be a VERY below quality
company with slapped together programs. THUNDER and DEGAS are great, but
I*S Talk is something to stay away with a hot poker until they improve it,
unless you really NEED a GEM terminal program. It is the BEST GEM program,
since the other ones out there (MI-TERM and FLASH) are worse and have even
more bugs.
       I do not have access to Compuserve so I cannot pass on to B.I. what
I think about their product, and I can't call them until my warranty card
gets to them, so I would be VERY happy if someone could foward this to them
on Compuserve or somewhere similar. (Neil?) I met with the president of that
company at a meeting in Boston, where he proceeded to claim that B.I. were
the EXPERTS of the industry when it came to GEM, but it turns out they do
need to practice for a couple more months on the magical art of GEM
programming. He showed us I*S Talk as a complete finished product, and
went on to talk about how FLASH terminal is full of bugs. When it turns out
that his product is in much worse shape. Heck, more of the pre-release-
still-under-developement stuff I see is in much better shape than this.
Well, enough flame, I already lost my money...Now I will have to PAY
B.I. for a WORKING upgrade of this piece of unfinished code. Sigh.

Rick Flashman
1057 N. Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 549-7399
Flash%UMASS.BITNET

hugh@hcrvx1.UUCP (Hugh Redelmeier) (08/01/86)

In article <860729020349.0000079A.AEOA.AA@UMass> Flash@UMass.BITNET (Rick Flashman) writes:
>       I just purchased I*S Talk by Batteries Included. Basically, what I can
>say is that the product seems like a good one, but version 1.00 should not
>have been released to the market, too many bugs.

> ... It [I*S Talk -- DHR] is the BEST GEM program,
>since the other ones out there (MI-TERM and FLASH) are worse and have even
>more bugs.

>... He showed us I*S Talk as a complete finished product, and
>went on to talk about how FLASH terminal is full of bugs. When it turns out
>that his product is in much worse shape.

First, this posting is contradictory.  Flash (the program) and
I*S Talk can't be both worse than each other.

I use Flash (the program) and am quite happy with it.  But: I know
(and like) the developers.  Whenever I have had a problem, they have
fixed it.  My problems have not been bugs:
1. Flash does not support some of the more obscure features of VT100
   (double-sized characters, for example).  The initial version did
   not support scrolling regions because the authors thought this
   feature was unimportant.  To a UNIX user it is not, so they have
   put it in.
2. Once the scrolling region was added, I had a problem switching to
   48 line mode: the scrolling region was not changed.  Now it is.
3. It sometimes takes a few clicks of the right button before Flash
   notices.  The authors tell me that this is a GEM problem.  They
   told me to hold the button down longer but I haven't tried this.

I think that there were some other small problems with the initial
version, but I never hit them.

The authors regularly sign on to COMPUSERVE, so you could talk to
them there.  (This is an observation by me, not a commitment from
them).  On COMPUSERE, there is a bug list & fix file: in atari16
sig, data library 2 (telecom), brouse with keyword "flash".

My ST makes a great terminal for my UNIX machine.  I love using JOVE
with a 48 line screen.  And it works at 9600 Baud (with flow
control).

Hugh Redelmeier (416) 922-1937
{utzoo, ihnp4, decvax}!hcr!hugh

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (08/03/86)

     Hugh mentioned that the authors of Focus are on Compuserve.
Batteries Included are on BIX (Byte Information Exchange).  Of
course, being in Toronto, Hugh and I both have a much cheaper method
of communicating with Batteries Included (Richmond Hill, Ontario).
:-)
--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura