[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #228

Alfke.PASA@Xerox.ARPA (06/25/85)

From: Alfke.PASA@Xerox.ARPA

Mike Parsons asked for some good stories about controlling time, as
opposed to simply time-travel.  "The Morphology of the Kirkham Wreck",
by {someone whose name I can't remember -- but the story has recently
been mentioned in this digest} is such a story.  The hero is an
otherwise normal 19th-century seaman, leader of a rescue crew, who
subconsciously manifests enormous control over the passage of time in
order to save the crewmen of a ship wrecked off the coast of Maine.  He
does such things as enormously slow the passage of time to gain finer
control over events, change past events (such as the manufacturing of
the ship's mast) to change the present, alter people's past behavior ...
it's a really excellent story.  You can find it in "Best SF of the Year
#9" edited by Terry Carr.

						--Peter Alfke
						  (now alfke.pasa@xerox)

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (06/26/85)

In article <2375@topaz.ARPA> Alfke.PASA@Xerox.ARPA writes:
>From: Alfke.PASA@Xerox.ARPA
>
>                                "The Morphology of the Kirkham Wreck",
>by {someone whose name I can't remember -- but the story has recently
>been mentioned in this digest} is such a story.

>it's a really excellent story.  You can find it in "Best SF of the Year
>#9" edited by Terry Carr.

The story can also be found in _Wave Rider_, a collection of short  stories
by the same author.  I can't remember the author's name either (George R.R.
Martin sticks in my mind, but the book's at  home).  All  the  stories  are
excellent reading.  The general theme of the book is man/woman and the sea.