[net.micro.atari16] ST Evaluation Requested

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (08/02/86)

I'm going to buy a computer near the end of this year,  and  I'd  like
your  recommendations  on  the  Atari ST's.  I've been programming for
about 8 years and I've been doing systems programming in C  for  about
two years.  I want to have:

1.   A machine with a good C compiler, possibly running a  Unix  vari-
     ant, for doing development work.

2.   A terminal emulator, so I can do my mainframe work from home.

3.   A game machine - It's been too long since I've had access to good
     computer games!

Anyone who answers any of my questions would have my sincere apprecia-
tion.   There are a LOT of questions here, but if you could answer any
that would be great.

- Sean

GENERAL OPINION
     What do you think of it?  Is it a toy or a serious machine?   How
     does the keyboard feel?  Have yours had any problems?

PRICING
     What's the lowest price you've seen for a 1040 ST?

MONITORS
     I see a lot of ads for "520 ST with color monitor".   Does  Atari
     make  a  "standard"  monitor  or are dealers pushing the cheapest
     color monitor they can find?  I'm going to be buying a good  Sony
     27  inch television about the same time I get this computer.  Can
     such a beast work with this computer?  If I bought a nice Prince-
     ton  Graphics, Amdek, Taxan, etc., would it look much better than
     the one(s) the dealers refer to?

C COMPILERS
     What do you think of the C Compilers available?  I don't know  of
     any dealers nearby, so I haven't really gotten a personal look at
     any compilers.  I have heard a bit of  raving  about  Megamax  C,
     mostly  good.   If  you've used Megamax, Lattice, or Aztec C, I'd
     like to hear what your opinion is of the  compiler.   I  will  be
     doing some serious, hard core development work (in other words, I
     will be paid for it) that may be transferred to large  Unix  sys-
     tems.  I'd like a compiler that can handle the same code that the
     portable C compiler can handle, and I'd  like  one  that  doesn't
     make  me wait all year (this is supposed to be an 8 Mhz 68000, no
     excuses for slow compilers).  I'm willing to pay  good  money  if
     it's a good compiler.

UNIX IMPLEMENTATIONS
     I've heard that OS9 has been ported to the thing, but  the  price
     for  the  OS and C compiler is about the same as a complete Atari
     system!  Who's going to buy it?  Not me!  Perhaps you know if the
     price of the thing is coming down or maybe you've heard of a dif-
     ferent Unix port.  Please let me know.   BTW,  I  saw  an  ad  in
     August  Byte  for  a  complete SysV port for the IBM AT for about
     $450.  Not a bad price for a real SysV port with pcc, ftn77, text
     formatters, and manuals.

CD ROMS
     Anyone making an interface for these buggers?  The idea of having
     an  online  encyclopedia or dictionary or other various databases
     is very attractive to me.  For the things to work, you've got  to
     have  DMA, ethernet, or some other very high speed data transfer.
     This means you've got to have hardware support.  Is it there?  Is
     anyone working on this?

                             * SOAPBOX TIME *

     I saw an ad in Byte for a CD of public domain software that  con-
     tained  the  equivalent of 400 or so floppy disks.  Sounded great
     till I saw the price: $195.  HOLY RIPOFFS, BATMAN!  I'm sure that
     the  media costs less than twenty dollars.  They invent a fantas-
     tic new media for mass storage, one  that  brings  possible  vast
     software libraries to the average person at low cost, and instead
     of using it to place this software in the hands of  users,  these
     people jack up the price way out of proportion to the media cost.
     This stuff is public domain!  Somebody ought to sue  their  asses
     for making a profit from it.

                           * DOWN FROM SOAPBOX *

STAR RAIDERS
     It's been at least three years since I last played Star  Raiders,
     probably  more.   If it were released today it would still be one
     of the greatest games around.  Is anyone planning on porting  the
     thing  to  the  ST series?  It would be stupendously awesome with
     higher-res graphics and sound.  I was even thinking of writing  a
     simple version for the Adage 3000!

Thanks for answering any or all of this.  I've been involved with com-
puters for a long time.  Some of them cost more than I'll ever make in
my lifetime.  And yet I've never owned  one.   This  is  an  important
decision for me and I appreciate any and all help.

Sean

Sean Casey                UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean        CSNET:  sean@uky.csnet
University of Kentucky    ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa
Lexington, Kentucky     BITNET:  sean@ukma.bitnet

cbbrowne@watnot.UUCP (Christopher Browne) (08/03/86)

In article <4140@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:

>I'm going to buy a computer near the end of this year,  and  I'd  like
>your  recommendations  on  the  Atari ST's.  I've been programming for
>about 8 years and I've been doing systems programming in C  for  about
>two years.  I want to have:
>
>1.   A machine with a good C compiler, possibly running a  Unix  vari-
>     ant, for doing development work.
>
>2.   A terminal emulator, so I can do my mainframe work from home.
>
>3.   A game machine - It's been too long since I've had access to good
>     computer games!
>
>Anyone who answers any of my questions would have my sincere apprecia-
>tion.   There are a LOT of questions here, but if you could answer any
>that would be great.
>
>- Sean
>

>GENERAL OPINION
>     What do you think of it?  Is it a toy or a serious machine?   How
>     does the keyboard feel?  Have yours had any problems?
>

>PRICING
I can speak only of Canadian prices, and I haven't seen 1040 prices recently.

>MONITORS
>     I see a lot of ads for "520 ST with color monitor".   Does  Atari
>     make  a  "standard"  monitor  or are dealers pushing the cheapest
>     color monitor they can find?  I'm going to be buying a good  Sony
>     27  inch television about the same time I get this computer.  Can
>     such a beast work with this computer?  If I bought a nice Prince-
>     ton  Graphics, Amdek, Taxan, etc., would it look much better than
>     the one(s) the dealers refer to?

The system includes an Atari-made colour monitor which is of very reasonable
quality.  It is a little difficult to hook up other monitors, and the Atari one
is plenty good.  It was designed to go with the computer, and so the two go
together very well.

>C COMPILERS

Sorry, I can't comment on this since I don't have one.

>UNIX IMPLEMENTATIONS
>     I've heard that OS9 has been ported to the thing, but  the  price
>     for  the  OS and C compiler is about the same as a complete Atari
>     system!  Who's going to buy it?  Not me!  Perhaps you know if the
>     price of the thing is coming down or maybe you've heard of a dif-
>     ferent Unix port.  Please let me know.   BTW,  I  saw  an  ad  in
>     August  Byte  for  a  complete SysV port for the IBM AT for about
>     $450.  Not a bad price for a real SysV port with pcc, ftn77, text
>     formatters, and manuals.

All I can say is that I hope that OS9 comes down in price.  Unix has not (yet?)
been ported.

>CD ROMS
>     Anyone making an interface for these buggers?  The idea of having
>     an  online  encyclopedia or dictionary or other various databases
>     is very attractive to me.  For the things to work, you've got  to
>     have  DMA, ethernet, or some other very high speed data transfer.
>     This means you've got to have hardware support.  Is it there?  Is
>     anyone working on this?

The hardware support does exist.  Atari has demonstrated the Activenture system
at least twice.  They have stated that they plan to sell CDROMs... but... not
yet.  They are looking for the cost (of the players) to come down so that they
can market them in quantity.  So, whenever players get nice and cheap, you can
expect to see Atari selling them.  (This is not unreasonable.  Atari needs to
sell an awful lot of them to be able to make a profit.  If they have to sell
them at $1200, they won't sell very many.).

>                             * SOAPBOX TIME *
>
>     I saw an ad in Byte for a CD of public domain software that  con-
>     tained  the  equivalent of 400 or so floppy disks.  Sounded great
>     till I saw the price: $195.  HOLY RIPOFFS, BATMAN!  I'm sure that
>     the  media costs less than twenty dollars.  They invent a fantas-
>     tic new media for mass storage, one  that  brings  possible  vast
>     software libraries to the average person at low cost, and instead
>     of using it to place this software in the hands of  users,  these
>     people jack up the price way out of proportion to the media cost.
>     This stuff is public domain!  Somebody ought to sue  their  asses
>     for making a profit from it.
>
>                           * DOWN FROM SOAPBOX *
It is not necessarily unethical.  There was a major discussion on net.micro on
the sales of PD software, and the general conclusion was that a company which
chooses to make software available should not be denied a profit.  NO ONE is
going to advertise in BYTE (at at least hundreds of dollars a crack, if not
thousands) and compile, copy (onto whatever medium), and mail out software
for free.  In this case, MEDIA cost may be insignifigant when compared to
such things as mastering (making the original CD), the time spent merely
putting together the library (how long does it take to copy 400 disks, weeding
out anything useless, adding documentation where possible, organizing
directories, etc.).  Remember here that $195 is pretty cheap.  Compare that to
the cost of 400 floppy disks.  We're talking 50 cents per disk.
     Next, comes the part about suing.  They cannot be sued for selling public
domain software.  They can be sued for selling copyrighted software without
permission (big difference).  GNU (the 'public domain' UNIX clone) cannot
legally be sold for a profit, because it is copyrighted.  It can be distributed
free of charge (or, I think, with a minimal copying fee - you'll have to pay for
the tape/disks you get it on) but not sold.  Uncopyrighted works, such as
many public domain programs can be sold for a profit by anyone who finds someone
willing to buy them.  It is unlikely that they will be sued for it, given that
they have been reasonably careful as to how they have done the job.  Is it
unethical?  To some (yourself included) it is.  To others it is not.  Please
remember that anyone who does not want to pay $195 for the CD of public domain
software is not forced to do so.  I'm not buying it - but mostly because I have
no use for it.  If I had a CDROM player, and the right computer, I might find it
very worthwhile to purchase the CD at $195.

>STAR RAIDERS
>     It's been at least three years since I last played Star  Raiders,
>     probably  more.   If it were released today it would still be one
>     of the greatest games around.  Is anyone planning on porting  the
>     thing  to  the  ST series?  It would be stupendously awesome with
>     higher-res graphics and sound.  I was even thinking of writing  a
>     simple version for the Adage 3000!

Atari is working on a version for the ST, and I have heard of some demos
floating about.  I hear that it is in fact very stupendously awesome.  It
certainly will be one of the greatest games around as soon as it comes out.
When that is, I am not sure (When is it NEIL?!?!?).

>Thanks for answering any or all of this.  I've been involved with com-
>puters for a long time.  Some of them cost more than I'll ever make in
>my lifetime.  And yet I've never owned  one.   This  is  an  important
>decision for me and I appreciate any and all help.
>
>Sean
>
>--
>Sean Casey                UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean        CSNET:  sean@uky.csnet
>University of Kentucky    ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa
>Lexington, Kentucky     BITNET:  sean@ukma.bitnet

                         Christopher Browne
                         University of Waterloo

robt@molihp.UUCP (Robert L Thurlow) (08/05/86)

>>STAR RAIDERS
>>     It's been at least three years since I last played Star  Raiders,
>>     probably  more.   If it were released today it would still be one
>>     of the greatest games around.  Is anyone planning on porting  the
>>     thing  to  the  ST series?  It would be stupendously awesome with
>>     higher-res graphics and sound.  I was even thinking of writing  a
>>     simple version for the Adage 3000!
>>
>Atari is working on a version for the ST, and I have heard of some demos
>floating about.  I hear that it is in fact very stupendously awesome.  It
>certainly will be one of the greatest games around as soon as it comes out.
>When that is, I am not sure (When is it NEIL?!?!?).

  I have  seen the demo of Star  Raiders,  and it is  *breathtaking*.  I
didn't  quite  realize how damned good the color screen on this beast is
until I saw that.  The colors  are  fabulous,  the  motion is smooth and
steady,  and the  whole  effect  is  very  impressive.  It  wouldn't  do
anything,  but I  watched  it for  minutes.  Now if only I could  find a
decently priced TV which would accept the Atari RGB color output!

#   UUCP : ...!ubc_vision!molihp!robt		Robert Thurlow		#
#   My thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.	#
#   "There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a	#
#    Pisces, probably working for scale."	-Nick Danger, 3rd Eye	#

phr@mit-prep.ARPA (Paul Rubin) (08/07/86)

   From: cbbrowne@watnot.UUCP (Christopher Browne)
   Newsgroups: net.micro.atari16
   Date: 3 Aug 86 00:12:05 GMT

   [Stuff about a some vendor selling a CD-rom full of public domain
   software for $195...]  Next, comes the part about suing.  They
   cannot be sued for selling public domain software.  They can be
   sued for selling copyrighted software without permission (big
   difference).  GNU (the 'public domain' UNIX clone) cannot legally
   be sold for a profit, because it is copyrighted.  It can be
   distributed free of charge (or, I think, with a minimal copying fee
   - you'll have to pay for the tape/disks you get it on) but not
   sold. ...

There is no problem with selling copies of GNU, or support services
for it, at a profit.  What GNU's copyright terms do not allow is trying
to restrict further redistribution of any version of GNU that you
sell.  The vendor has to pass on the same rights to the recipient that
s/he him/herself had (including the right to give away copies)--- that
is, proprietary versions are not allowed.  The only other restriction
is that if any GNU-derived software is distributed in binary form
(such as in ROMs), it must also be made available in machine readable
source code form at nominal cost to anyone asking for it.  (Also, the
customer must be informed that the Free Software Foundation does not
provide any warranty for the software.)

See the GNU Emacs General Public License for details of this.  Other
parts of the GNU system will be released under very similar terms.  I
will mail copies of the General Public License on request.

	Paul Rubin
	Free Software Foundation

P.S. As long as the contents of the CD-rom that that place is selling
is still PD, I don't find it too objectionable.  As long as the people
selling the CD-rom do not try to prohibit others from copying it,
possibly also in CD-rom form, the price should fall pretty fast.