[net.micro.atari16] Heat problems with 1040s?

RDROYA01@ULKYVX.BITNET (08/05/86)

Date:           Tue, 5 Aug 86 07:37 EST
From:           <RDROYA01@ULKYVX.BITNET> (Robert Royar)
Subject:        Heat problems with 1040s?
To:             info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I'm deciding wether to buy a 1040ST or a 520ST. I want the full meg because
the cp/m-68k system I'm now using has 2 megs, and many of the programs I'll
be porting need LARGE buffers. But some of the local users and one dealer
have warned me of heat failures and design flaws in the 1040ST. Are these
isolated problems or is this a chronic concern? If it is chronic, how can
it be fixed (why didn't they put a fan in that skinny box?).

Heat concerns me, as do power problems because those are the only problems
I had with my first 68K system. The addition of an integrand power box
with fan cured both. Has anyone installed an Atari board in such a box?
Please, hurry your replies as I need to make a decision within a week.

thanks,

Robert Royar
rdroya01@ulkyvx.bitnet

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (08/07/86)

> Some of the local users and one dealer
> have warned me of heat failures and design flaws in the 1040ST. Are these
> isolated problems or is this a chronic concern? If it is chronic, how can
> it be fixed (why didn't they put a fan in that skinny box?).
> thanks, Robert Royar

I've had a 1040 for a few months, and it gets warm over the power supply, but
the case isn't in danger of melting. I couldn't imagine survival with power
bricks and single-sided drives floating all over my desk.......

						---John Purbrick

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (08/08/86)

In article <2689@mit-hermes.ARPA> jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) writes:
>> Some of the local users and one dealer
>> have warned me of heat failures and design flaws in the 1040ST. Are these
>> isolated problems or is this a chronic concern? If it is chronic, how can
>> it be fixed (why didn't they put a fan in that skinny box?).
>> thanks, Robert Royar
>
>I've had a 1040 for a few months, and it gets warm over the power supply, but
>the case isn't in danger of melting. I couldn't imagine survival with power
>bricks and single-sided drives floating all over my desk.......
>
>						---John Purbrick

We have a number of 1040's used as terminals, running 24 hours a day for
the past few months, and except for a lightning strike, none of them
have died.  These units are NOT installed in climate controlled computer
rooms; they're sitting on professors' desks.

-dave
--
David Hsu  (301) 454-1433 || -8798 || -8715	"I know no-thing!" -eneevax
Communications & Signal Processing Laboratory	/ EE Systems Staff

"Evil...pure and simple!"