[net.micro.atari16] prices of monitors, 68020's, etc.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (08/04/86)

In article <398@atari.UUcp>, dyer@atari.UUcp (Landon Dyer) writes:
> I respectfully suggest that the prices quoted above are
> representative of the company buying the parts, and not what
> the parts really cost.

When I was at Sun, they had pretty aggressive purchasing people.
More to the point is that prices are a function of volume.  If Sun
hadn't bought 19-inch non interlaced 1152x900 monitors by the hundreds
in 1984, and gotten the bugs out of them, and ramped up from there, you
wouldn't see these monitors at $1000 now.  If next year Atari can bring
out a product that uses them, and sell 20,000 a month, certainly the
price will come down.  Similarly if Sun (and others) hadn't been
shipping 68020's for a year, Motorola wouldn't be ramped up to where
they could handle orders for Atari's volume.

When these (currently special) products become standard items, Sun's as
well as Atari's customers will benefit from the coresponding price
reductions.

Low price alone won't bring Atari customers, though.  Remember the
first mass market 68000 system (TRS-80 Model 16)?  Those clowns sure
didn't know how to make a 68000 hum.  From what I hear, Atari is doing
a similar trick with their 68020 project -- hiding it behind a slow
68000 "I/O processor" where it can't get to the outside world quickly.
(I/O speeds in Suns went way up with the 68020, especially screen updates,
disk access, and streaming tape drives.)  The Atari ST's I've seen have
been mostly I/O bound and cripped with bad software; a "back-end"
68020 won't fix that.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
		     May the Source be with you!

wmb@sun.uucp (Mitch Bradley) (08/06/86)

Sun does not pay $1000 for thousand-line 19" monochrome monitors.
When we first started shipping them several years ago, the price
was in that ballpark (there was only one supplier), but not now.

It also strongly depends on that size of the tube.  19" monitors
cost significantly more than 15" monitors with the same number of
pixels.

Mitch

In article <5861@sun.uucp> wmb@sun.uucp (Mitch Bradley) writes:
>Sun does not pay $1000 for thousand-line 19" monochrome monitors.
>When we first started shipping them several years ago, the price
>was in that ballpark (there was only one supplier), but not now.
>
>Mitch

As a further comment, there is quite a difference between a vendor like SUN
buying components, mostly in the US for assembly here in maybe ~1000 unit/month
quantitys, and someone like Atari or CBM buying parts in the Far East for sub-
assembly there in ~25000 unit/month quantitys.

I wouldn't want to quibble about the numbers here, the point I want to make is
that component pricing is based on quantity, location, quality, time, luck and
negotiating prowess.  One some parts SUN and Atari might pay nearly the same
price, or others there might be a factor of 2-4 difference in cost.

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (08/08/86)

In article <946@hoptoad.uucp>, gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>The Atari ST's I've seen have
> been mostly I/O bound and cripped with bad software; a "back-end"
> 68020 won't fix that.
> --
> John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
> 		     May the Source be with you!

Finally, someone else besides me sees at least a few small warts on the ST.
I still like the machine. But the END to all computers it ain't.  Not even
for $1000.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company