[net.micro.atari16] Make, Alcyon C 4.14 and libm

TPC862@ESTEC.BITNET (08/12/86)

Date: 12 August 1986, 11:55:08 EST
From: Ton van Overbeek          +31 1719 83041       TPC862   at ESTEC
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
cc:   BAMMI%CASE at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Make, Alcyon C 4.14 and libm

I had some problems with implementing the Make program posted by
Jwahar Bammi using the Alcyon C compiler from the development set.
First my version did not know about the type void and second it did not
know unsigned char (got warning unsigned char not implemented, signed
assumed). After the necessary changes in h.h everything worked fine.

The Makefile was corrupted because somewhere along the line tabs were
converted to spaces. Commands to produce targets have to start with
a tab as the first char on the line. Furter I noticed that the colon
separating target and dependants has to be surrounded by spaces. A colon
directly after a target gives funny error messages and other things.
Use -p option to see what is happening.

Jwahar, thanks for a well done conversion job.
I also have the original posting from net.sources and was intending to
do the sam as Jwahar + the Case people did.

In the h.h and readme files there are references to Alcyon 4.14 and
the IEEE floating point library libm. See below.

From h.h:
>#ifdef MEGAMAX
>#define void        /* Alcyon 4.14 understands void */
>#undef Fdatime        /* Megamax has it incorrectly defined */
>#define    Fdatime(a,b,c)    gemdos(0x57,a,b,c)
>#endif /* MEGAMAX */

From readme:
>   /* Pass 1 flags           */
>   setmacro("C0FLAGS", "-f"); /* change to "" if you want to use IEEE
>                   * floating point and libm instead of libf
>                   * by Default. Otherwise simply redefine
>                   * C0FLAGS in your makefile to get the
>                   * IEEE floating option.
>                   */

Now my questions. Is Alcyon 4.14 a newer release from the development kit
C compiler ? (It accepts void and probably unsigned char) If so, where
do I get hold of it? Any info on differences with the Development kit
C compiler are appreciated.

Concerning floating point. Where is info on libm available? Where can
I get it?
Thanks for any info again.

Ton van Overbeek
European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC)
Control Systems Section
P.O.Box 299
2200 AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
Phone: +31 1719 83041