[net.micro.atari16] Mac software on ST?

Ng.PA@XEROX.COM (07/24/86)

   On the July issue of Computer Current, I leaned there is a $300
module that plugs into the cartidge port of the ST allows it to run
almost all the Macintosh software.  Could someone out there in the
netland give me more infor on this?
   Could someone also give me a brief review on the 1040 ST developer
package?

Thanks,

Nelson

dave@helm.UUCP (David Goldblatt) (07/29/86)

In article <860724-104707-2688@Xerox> Ng.PA@Xerox.COM writes:

>   On the July issue of Computer Current, I leaned there is a $300
>module that plugs into the cartidge port of the ST allows it to run
>almost all the Macintosh software.  Could someone out there in the
>netland give me more infor on this?
>   Could someone also give me a brief review on the 1040 ST developer
>package?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Nelson

	There was a blurb in either ANTIC, ANALOG, or Byte a couple of
months ago describing that David Small [of magazine fame, including
Outpost:Atari in the now-defunct Creative Computing] had developed a box
which let a ST run Mac software, including graphics.  There was only
one little problem in this: to make one's ST think it's a Macintosh, it
must BE a Macintosh - simple brainwashing doesn't work; you need a new
brain.  Basically, what he did was develop a DMA port device which
amongst other things, contained the Macintosh ROMs.  That's all well and
good, until you recall the 'unimportant' fact that the Macintosh ROMs are
copyrighted..  Last I heard, Small was waiting for some sort of response
from Apple as to whether he could market the device, either by including
ROMs purchased from Apple, or having the buyer purchase them from an
Apple dealer. It SOUNDED good, but it wouldn't be the first time someon
failed to market something along those lines..

-dg-

...philabs!sbcs!helm!dave
...!trixie!polyof!helm!dave

"Just another BITNETter..."

cms@vlsvax1.UUCP (Chuck M. Sweeney) (08/08/86)

In article <551@helm.UUCP> dave@helm.UUCP (David Goldblatt) writes:
>In article <860724-104707-2688@Xerox> Ng.PA@Xerox.COM writes:
>>
>>   On the July issue of Computer Current, I leaned there is a $300
>>module that plugs into the cartidge port of the ST allows it to run
>>almost all the Macintosh software.  Could someone out there in the
>>netland give me more infor on this?
>>   Could someone also give me a brief review on the 1040 ST developer
>>package?
>>

>	There was a blurb in either ANTIC, ANALOG, or Byte a couple of
>months ago describing that David Small had developed a box
>which let a ST run Mac software, including graphics.  <Stuff deleted>
>Basically, what he did was develop a DMA port device which
>amongst other things, contained the Macintosh ROMs.
>-dg-
>
>...philabs!sbcs!helm!dave
>...!trixie!polyof!helm!dave

Fact is, the MacCartridge from David Small and Joel Rosenblum uses the
ROM cartridge port, not the DMA port. The last I heard, they were close
to an understanding with Apple that would give them a way to market the
device.  I don't have any details or a time frame, but it sounds like the
thing may actually become a real product.

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (08/12/86)

Inasmuchas the Mac ROMs are rather like the IBM PC BIOS (or, better,
what the BIOS should have been), isn't expecting Apple to license their
sale rather like asking IBM to sell its BIOS separately to clone makers?
This "product" leaves a bad taste in my mouth, if only because the producers
took the easy way out.  Far better it would have been to reverse-engineer
the ROMs from the programming interface specification.  This is a lot harder,
granted, but it also avoids many of the hassles that have been described in
the media.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

Felton.pa@XEROX.COM (08/12/86)

Steve,

	It is illegal to "reverse-engineer" the roms. In order to write your
own version of the O.S. which is functionally equivalent to the original
you must have never have seen actual code from the original roms. If you
have seen this code you may be accussed of having stollen some of it.
Phoenix Software had to find programmers who had never seen the IBM PC
bios before when they wrote their bios.

John