[net.micro.atari16] Micro C-Shell Info Request

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (07/29/86)

A question for the house:

I am considering purchasing Micro C-Shell from David Beckemeyer Development
Tools in Oakland. Can anyone fill me in on this product a little bit more
than the article in START magazine did? (Has anyone out there even
used it?)

I am interested in knowing things like:
	- does it allow access to .login or .cshrc files or
	  their equivalents?
 	- does it allow batch files?
	- does it allow access to the desk accessories?

Any other information would be appreciated.

You may as well simply post the responses, since others might be interested
as well?

Thanks in advance....

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

mqh@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Mike Hojnowski) (07/30/86)

In article <93@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:

>I am interested in knowing things like:
>	- does it allow access to .login or .cshrc files or
>	  their equivalents?
> 	- does it allow batch files?
>	- does it allow access to the desk accessories?

I have Micro C-Shell, and am quite pleased with it.  The true UN*X hack
will find the shell to be missing a lot of niceties, but for the casual
user like myself, it's more than adequate.  The Shell does have a login
file called "login.sh", but nothing like a .cshrc that I've noticed.
Once you're in the shell, you've left the desktop behind though, as far
as I know, you can't access the desk accessories easily.

The shell handles paths, aliases, history, shell variables, and lots of
other goodies.  Also included are some utilities like lpr, more, pr, etc...
It's very easy to set up a nice working environment.  Beckemeyer, bless his
heart, doesn't use any of that obnoxious copy protection stuff, so you
don't have worry about dropping pizza on the master disk (I almost did that
to my PC/InterC*mm disk once.  I wouldn't have bought it if I'd have realized
what a pain that protection scheme would be).

My one major gripe is that the shell won't run from the "auto" directory.
My guess is that it's because the shell feels obligated to give you a
nice full-screen logo, complete with button, before becoming sane again
and giving a prompt.  Personally, I would dispense with the desktop altogether
if I could, but I'm forced into it just long enough to double-click on the
shell.
--
Mike Hojnowski (Hojo)		{ihnp4,rochester}!cornell!batcomputer!mqh
(607) 257-1389 (h)		mqh@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

rroux@spp2.UUCP (Ray Roux) (07/30/86)

In article <93@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>A question for the house:
>
>I am considering purchasing Micro C-Shell from David Beckemeyer Development
>Tools in Oakland. Can anyone fill me in on this product a little bit more
>than the article in START magazine did? (Has anyone out there even
>used it?)
>
>I am interested in knowing things like:
>	- does it allow access to .login or .cshrc files or
>	  their equivalents?
> 	- does it allow batch files?
>	- does it allow access to the desk accessories?

I've been using Micro C-Shell extensively for the past 6 months and have been
very happy with it.  I've just sent away for the multi-tasking version,
MT C-Shell, and am looking forward to using it.  Now, for your questions:

	1) Yes, it will read a file 'login' upon startup.  This lets you
	   setup your aliases, environment variables, etc...

	2) Yes, the batch files are basically shell scripts, you have
	   foreach, if, and a few others available to you.

	3) I don't recall being able to run accessories, you can run gem
	   programs though.  I just sent in for an updated version, perhaps
	   the current version allows this - but I'm not sure.

It comes with a good set of tools, and there is a C-Tools package available
with a bunch more.  I'll post a review of MT C-Shell as soon as I get it.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Bekemeyer Development Tools, I'm only
a happy customer.

--

   Ray Roux
	{ucbvax|decvax}!trwrb!trwspp!spp3!rroux

chabris_c@h-sc4.harvard.edu (chris chabris) (07/31/86)

In article <780@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> mqh@batcomputer.UUCP (Mike Hojnowski) writes:
>In article <93@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>>
>>I am interested in knowing things like:
>>	- does it allow access to .login or .cshrc files or
>>	  their equivalents?
>> 	- does it allow batch files?
>>	- does it allow access to the desk accessories?
>
>I have Micro C-Shell, and am quite pleased with it.  The true UN*X hack
>will find the shell to be missing a lot of niceties, but for the casual
>user like myself, it's more than adequate.  The Shell does have a login
>file called "login.sh", but nothing like a .cshrc that I've noticed.
>Once you're in the shell, you've left the desktop behind though, as far
>as I know, you can't access the desk accessories easily.

Beckemeyer himself recently reported on CompuServe that he is working on
support for desk accessories in a future version (the current is 2.62, I
believe).  By the way, the MT/C-Shell is completed and will be shipped
within days, according to his office.  Apparently they are finishing up
the documentation.  The multitasking capabilities will, among other things,
allow the use of well-behaved TOS programs from a remote system that has
vt52 emulation (no termcaps at first, he says -- sorry).  Sounds intriguing.

-- Christopher F. Chabris
   15 Sterling Road
   Armonk, NY   10504

   CompuServe: 73277,305
         UUCP: ...!harvard!h-sc4!chabris
         ARPA: chabris%h-sc4@harvard.ARPA
       BITNET: chabris@HARVUNXU.BITNET
         AT&T: (914) 273-8828

paone@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Phil Paone) (07/31/86)

It sure will run from auto. You don't use the program in the main
directory. There is a program whose name escapes me in the bin
directory. I think it is named cshell.prg. I haven't had anytrouble
autorunning it.

			Phil Paone

mugc@utecfa.UUCP (ModemUserGroupChairman) (08/01/86)

	All the information below comes from a phone-call I made
	to Beckemeyer.

	#1: Micro C-shell is a Un*x C-Shell clone. Just as you would
	    expect, it does not do any multi-tasking (in Un*x, the
	    OS does the multi-tasking).

        #2: They have another offering called the MT C-shell (MT =
	    multi-tasking, most probably). This MT C-shell (bad choice
	    of name, I think) is a bit of a Un*x clone. The package
	    comes with an operating system which allows multi-tasking
	    and sort of clones Un*x like features (a little like
	    QNX maybe). It comes with (I think) 4 shells. The default
	    login shell is set up from /etc/passwd, but any shell
	    can be executed from within the startup shell. The system
	    allows job-control (fore-grounding and back-grounding)
	    of tasks, from certain shell(s) to .TOS and .TTP programs.

        #3: I believe MTCS also allows a multi-user facility (I suppose
	    user #2 logs in via the serial port). Again, this user
	    gets a shell allocated to him  from /etc/passwd. (I forgot
	    to mention, there is a logon procedure for every user).
	    There is also a superuser facility to go with these other
	    facilities :-)

	#4: There are permission bits for files ala UNIX, so you can
	    set certain programs out of bounds etc.

	#5: There is one shell which can only be run from the console
	    (guess why :-)) which allows you to run Gem programs as
	    child processes under it. This shell does not have any
	    job-control facility (I believe), so once you get into
	    a Gem program, you are bound to it until you quit (can't
	    stop the job). I suppose though, that you can still do
	    multitasking (print spooling in the background for instance
	    by doing:

		% lpr myfile &
		% gemshell (or whatever)
		(execute some gem program here)

	#6: MTCS supports I/O redirection, true pipes and so on. (stderr
	    and stdout are distinct I believe)

	#7: It comes with a host of programs such as lpr and a list of
	    others.

	#8: MTCS was in Beta test, and should be shipping about now
	    (again, this is what they told me 2-3 weeks ago).

	#9: Oops, forgot, there is a .login ;-)

		All of this is from memory (3 weeks old), so please
	correct me if anything here is incorrect. I'm not associated
	with Beckemeyer and cannot vouch for the accuracy of the
	above information because I have not seen it yet. Sounds great
	though, so I went and ordered one!

			Regards,
			anees

--
			Anees Munshi
			@ University of Toronto Engineering Comp. Facility :A

cms@vlsvax1.UUCP (Chuck M. Sweeney) (08/04/86)

In article <93@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>A question for the house:
>
>I am considering purchasing Micro C-Shell from David Beckemeyer Development
>Tools in Oakland. Can anyone fill me in on this product a little bit more
>than the article in START magazine did? (Has anyone out there even
>used it?)
>
>I am interested in knowing things like:
>	- does it allow access to .login or .cshrc files or
>	  their equivalents?
> 	- does it allow batch files?
>	- does it allow access to the desk accessories?
>
>Any other information would be appreciated.

I have been using Micro C-Shell since last November.  To answer the
questions quickly; 1) It reads a login.sh file on start-up in which
you can set environment parameters, call other .sh files or programs
and so on.  2)  It runs batch files (read shell scripts) just like
executable programs as long as they are in the path. 3) It does not
allow access to the desk accessories (which has become a pain since
I installed the "MacroManager" accessory from Blue Moon Software
-neat, but that's another topic).

Micro C-Shell is a terifically handy product for me.  Most commonly,
I run it out of a ram disk (which avoids the only irritant to me, that
it accessess the drive for program reads often if the programs/utilities
don't live in a ram disk).  You can configure an environment pretty
much any way you want, with .tos or .ttp programs in a bin directory
or other directory in the user path which is an enivronment variable.
It works so much like csh on 4.2BSD that I have the same aliases and
(most) environment variables the same as I do at work (VAX/4.2) and
do not have to worry about remembering different key sequences or
commands.  If you couldn't guess, I like it a *lot*.  Also, late word
from the author is that he is releasing the C-Shell with a multi-tasking
operating system and a bunch of new features.  I expect to be getting
this, so stay tuned to this channel for a review.

Sweeney
vlsvax1!cms
415 490-3555

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (08/07/86)

How much does it cost to obtain Micro C-Shell for the ST (exclusive of the
ST!)?

-John Sangster
jhs@ MITRE-bedford.arpa

"She sells C-Shells at the C-Shore?"

axel@coma.UUCP (08/09/86)

>very happy with it.  I've just sent away for the multi-tasking version,
>MT C-Shell, and am looking forward to using it.

Did I read MULTITASKING here ? How does this work on the ST ?
Could you (anyone) post a review on the "multi-tasking version"
of MicroC-Shell ?

				Axel Mahler, Tech.Univ. Berlin
				(unido!coma!axel)

pvf@bridge2.UUCP (Paul V. Fries) (08/20/86)

I have been using the Micro C-Shell (v2.61) for a few months now and
for the most part agree with the previous comments about it.  It is
a good product and is worth the cost.  The features closely mimic
the features found on the "real" computers at work, so it is easy to
get it to do what you are familiar with in more sophisticated
environments.

One aspect that I do not like very much is that it has does not
very well handle the initiation of GEM programs.  As long as you
are executing TOS or TTP programs (i.e. ASCII terminal oriented),
all is fine.  In order to run GEM programs, you must issue the
command in the form:

	gem <command-name>

The shell seems not to want to look for .PRG files when it is looking
for commands and will not, on its own, perform the setup required for
the GEM program to operate.  It would seem that the gem command was
added as an afterthought for ST use.  Making the user select explicitly
which programs will be run with the mouse and stuff makes it easier for
the shell.

Not intuitively obvious is the fact that command-line arguments are
NOT supported.  Not a BIG deal, but it means that I do not immediately
have the ability to call my Megamax editor with the names of files
to be editted.  Annoying, but fairly easy to work around.

To solve the problem, I wrote myself a program called "gemrun.tos".
It operates seemingly identically to the gem function of the shell,
but additionally passes the arguments to the system when doing
the EXEC.  Of course, it must be read fron the disk, so it is a bit
slower (on floppies) than the standard function that it replaces.

Another anomaly I have found is in the handling of the "no match"
situation on wildcard file specifications.  Unlike the true csh
which will eliminate the pttern word that has no match, Micro C Shell
is more like the Bourne Shell in that it leaves the unsubstituted
pattern word in the argument list.