[net.micro.atari16] Ethernet for the 1040ST???

HELLER%cs.umass.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (Stride 440 User) (08/17/86)

I have a hardware question about Atari 1040ST's:  Does there exist an
Ethernet interface for this machine? And if so, what software is available?

My interest is this:  I am contemplating getting a small computer for use
"at the office".  This means I'll mostly be using the machine as a smart
terminal (with some local editing).  Normally I'd just connect the RS232
port to one of the VAXen (or a terminal server) I use at work, but the
serial ports on the VAXen are being phased out in favor of Ethernet-based
terminal servers (fewer wires need be strung and less dependencies on
particular VAXen).  We have two DECserver-100's in the office where I work,
but all of their ports are in use.  There are several available Ethernet
drops available (via a DELNE).  If it were posible to put the Atari on the
Ethernet directly, I would get much faster file transfer (10Megbit!), than
with the DECserver-100's, as well as access to ANY of the machines on the
Ethernet (only limited by whatever protocol(s) the software for the
Ethernet interface handles). We run several different Ethernet protocols:
DECNet between VAXen running VMS & Ultrix, ChaosNet between the LISP
Machines (and some of the VAXen running VMS), TCP between UNIX machines
(SUN's, HP's, VAXen running Ultrix and some of the VAXen running VMS),
DEC's LAT protocol (between the terminal servers and the VMS and Ultrix
VAXen).

				Robert Heller
			ARPANet: Heller@UMass-CS.CSNET
			BITNET:	Heller@UMass.BITNET
			BIX:	heller
			GEnie:	rheller

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (08/21/86)

In article <8608170513.AA15863@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> HELLER%cs.umass.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (Stride 440 User) writes:
>I have a hardware question about Atari 1040ST's:  Does there exist an
>Ethernet interface for this machine? And if so, what software is available?

There is a company called Logic Replacement Technology, in England, which
has announced what they call an Etherterm, which is in fact an ST520
with an Ethernet interface: their blurb is below. I called them, and
they say that it is currently not possible to use the thing as a normal
ST, but they are thinking about it. They are also thinking about the
use of the 1040ST, where there could be a physical problem in fitting
the interface into the ST.

Another British company, called Software Punch, offers networking (both
simple rs232 and ethernet apparently), but I have no definite
information yet.

Herewith follows LRT company blurb: usual disclaimer, although we have
bought quite a few of their Ethernet-VME boards and they work.
<
EtherTERM is a low-cost windowing terminal (995 Pounds Sterling) with
integrated TCP/IP networking protocol which can be connected into an
Ethernet. It is capable of opening multiple shells on single or multiple
host computers with TCP/IP such as 4.2BSD or Uniplus+System V.
Opened shells can be monitored on up to four windows, controlled and
switched by the mouse. Each window provides vt100 emulation, with
input directed to the foreground window. The terminal supports standard
Ethernet and Cheapernet, and a local host connected via rs232 port.