[net.micro.atari16] "Microsoft supports the ST

MCOHAN@UMass.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of Mass/Amherst) (08/15/86)

I read in the 7/14 issue of InformationWEEK, and in another newspaper
(I think it was Computerworld) that Microsoft has ported the Macintosh
version of Microsoft Word to the Atari ST, and that Atari has signed
a contract with Microsoft giving Atari exclusive world-wide marketing
rights to the program.  The ST version is called Microsoft Write.
   Does anyone out there know more about this deal? such as...

1) Price

2) Availability--  Previous Atari-distributed/written ST software seems
to have disappeared into a black hole!  (Planetarium, CP/M Emulator,
GEM Draw,graph,paint etc., Joust, etc.)  If Atari is distributing this,
I sure hope they actually DO distribute it!  Any info?

3) Implementation-- both the articles I read on Microsoft Write specifically
said it was an ST version of the MACINTOSH Microsoft Word.  This means
it uses windows, mouse etc.  I find it very hard to believe that Microsoft
would be willing to start writing GEM programs!  Is there any chance that
we can see WINDOWS on the ST??  If Microsoft is now supporting the ST,
have they ported Windows to it to use with Write?  Or what are they using?

4) Is Microsoft planning to put any other software on the ST besides Word?

MCOHAN@UMass.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of Mass/Amherst) (08/16/86)

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in it, here is the quote I was
referring about Microsoft Word on the ST.  It's from InformationWEEK,
7/14/86, page 41, in their INDUSTRY BRIEFS section.

Microsoft Modifies Microsoft Word for Atari's PCs
     Users of Atari Corp.'s 520ST and 1040ST personal computers now have
a word processing program written just for them.  Microsoft, of Bellevue,
Wash., has modified its Macintosh-version of the Microsoft Word program
for the Atari PCs.  The new version is called Microsoft Write.  In addition,
the agreement between the two firms gives Atari, which is based in
Sunnyvale, Calif., worldwide distribution rights to the program.

   The other reference to this was in Computerworld, 7/14 issue.  It was
buried at the end of an article on Microsoft Windows on the IBM PC, and
gave the same information.

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (08/21/86)

In article <860814210010.000009AF.ANJV.MA@UMass>, MCOHAN@UMass.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of writes:
> I read in the 7/14 issue of InformationWEEK, and in another newspaper
> (I think it was Computerworld) that Microsoft has ported the Macintosh
> version of Microsoft Word to the Atari ST, and that Atari has signed
> a contract with Microsoft giving Atari exclusive world-wide marketing
> rights to the program.  The ST version is called Microsoft Write.
>    Does anyone out there know more about this deal? such as...
>
> 1) Price

$129.95

> 2) Availability

Late Fall is a fair guess.  I have a beta 1 version now.

> 3) Implementation-- both the articles I read on Microsoft Write specifically
> said it was an ST version of the MACINTOSH Microsoft Word.  This means
> it uses windows, mouse etc.  I find it very hard to believe that Microsoft
> would be willing to start writing GEM programs!  Is there any chance that
> we can see WINDOWS on the ST??  If Microsoft is now supporting the ST,
> have they ported Windows to it to use with Write?  Or what are they using?

It does in fact run under GEM.

> 4) Is Microsoft planning to put any other software on the ST besides Word?

If everyone buys this, I would expect to see lots of Microsoft programs for
the ST.  We'll see...
--
--->Neil @ Atari

...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil   or ...lll-lcc!vecpyr!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies