[net.micro.atari16] Reading MS-DOS disks

bruce@ektools.UUCP (Bruce D. Nelson ) (08/07/86)

I noticed that the ST disk format and the MS-DOS disk format are
similar but different. Are there any programs available which can
(assuming compatible drives size and bit-wise):

a) convert an ST disk to MS-DOS and vice-versa or
b) read and/or write an MS-DOS format disk on the ST

Bruce D. Nelson
...rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce

UD040164@NDSUVM1.BITNET (a.d. jensen) (08/08/86)

In <408@ektools.UUCP>, Bruce D. Nelson writes...

> I noticed that the ST disk format and the MS-DOS disk format are
> similar but different. Are there any programs available which can
> (assuming compatible drives size and bit-wise):

> a) convert an ST disk to MS-DOS and vice-versa or
> b) read and/or write an MS-DOS format disk on the ST

Well, the ST _can_ read MS-DOS disks off the shelf, but, because the
tandems in the PC are of an older, less flexible type, it doesn't go
both ways.

dale

I6191008@DBSTU1.BITNET (08/08/86)

Bruce,
The ST disk format and the MS-DOS disk format ARE the same.
However, since MS-DOS uses 40 tracks some measures have to be taken,
even the ST recognizes 40 track DS disks among others.
Best would be to use a switchable 40/80 track drive, like TEAC FD55GV.
But then another problem arises: The ST assumes 3 msec steprate.
Since a 40 track drive needs 6 msec from track to track you will get
an error and assume that there is a difference in the allocation tables.
But there isn't. There is a possibility to change the step rate in the
system with a simple system call I remember. If you want to know it,
I can dig it out for you. Finally, I know at least one person using an
5" drive to transfer datas from the PC to the ST and vice-versa.

Johann Zuschlag (I6191008@DBSTU1.BITNET)

bruce@ektools.UUCP (Bruce D. Nelson ) (08/13/86)

In article <408@ektools.UUCP> bruce@ektools.UUCP I wrote:

>... Are there any programs available which can
>
>a) convert an ST disk to MS-DOS and vice-versa or
>b) read and/or write an MS-DOS format disk on the ST

First, I'd like to thank everone who took the time to send replies.

Here is what I've found. Originally I was trying to read/write from MS-DOS
disks written on an HP-150. It seems that the HP-150 uses 256 byte sectors
instead of 512 byte like the ST. Since then, I located an IBM-PC with a
3.5 inch drive.

The IBM-PC was unable to read disks formatted by the ST. However, the ST
was able to read/write the PC-formatted disks, and the PC was able to read
the disks after they had been to my ST and back. It seems that there are
minor formatting considerations which the ST ignores but the PC enforces.

My experience, then, is that as long as the PC controls the formatting,
files are exchangable between the PC and the ST.

Bruce Nelson
...rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (08/22/86)

> In article <408@ektools.UUCP> bruce@ektools.UUCP I wrote:
> >
> >... Are there any programs available which can
> >
> >a) convert an ST disk to MS-DOS and vice-versa or
> >b) read and/or write an MS-DOS format disk on the ST
>
> First, I'd like to thank everone who took the time to send replies.
>
> Here is what I've found. Originally I was trying to read/write from MS-DOS
> disks written on an HP-150. It seems that the HP-150 uses 256 byte sectors
> instead of 512 byte like the ST. Since then, I located an IBM-PC with a
> 3.5 inch drive.
>
> The IBM-PC was unable to read disks formatted by the ST. However, the ST
> was able to read/write the PC-formatted disks, and the PC was able to read
> the disks after they had been to my ST and back. It seems that there are
> minor formatting considerations which the ST ignores but the PC enforces.
>
> My experience, then, is that as long as the PC controls the formatting,
> files are exchangable between the PC and the ST.
>
> Bruce Nelson
> ...rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce

Coming in on this a little late, I would like to add that there is
a program that runs on the PC that reads and writes many different
alien formats (275 is what they advertize). Included is the ST
format. Name of the program is XenoCopy II, from XenoSoft in
Berkeley, CA. $79.95

Mike Gingell   ..decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg