[net.micro.atari16] Inquiry about Avatex 1200 modem

gjphw@mhuxo.UUCP (WYANT) (06/24/86)

    It is now time for me to take the plunge and replace my 300 baud modem with
 a 1200 baud one.  Does anyone have any experience with, or hearsay evidence
 about, the Avatex 1200 baud modem?  It operates at either 300 or 1200 baud and
 retails through a mail-order house for $89, making the Avatex the least
 expensive 1200 baud modem I have seen so far.  We own an Atari 520ST with
 upgrades of TOS in ROM and 1 Mb of memory.

    Send email, and thanks for the comments.

                                 Patrick Wyant
                                 AT&T Bell Laboratories
                                 Naperville, IL
                                 *!ihnp4!{mhuxo,ihwld}!gjphw

jhs@disunix.UUCP (06/26/86)

I have been using an Avatex 1200 baud modem for about 3 months now, and it has
worked flawlessly.  I have not used the autoanswer feature.  I have used the
autodial capability and it works as advertised.  The switches on the back came
in handy to force the modem on-line with one terminal emulator program which
apparently did not assert Data Terminal Ready.  These switches allow you to
choose whether to force these lines ON or let the program do it.

The unit not only works well, it looks very professional too.  It is a heck of
a lot of modem for the price.  Incidentally, the guy I bought mine from
charges $80 if you pick it up and I believe he has quoted several people $85
if he has to bother to ship it.  For further information, call Rick Pommet,
Nelson Data Communications, (617) 667-4357 or 738-6000.  The first number is
his home phone, and you will have better luck reaching him if you call there
after about 7 or 7:30 PM.  The 738-6000 number is at work and he is hard to
reach there so you will be likely to waste a call if you try it.  Rick is an
Atari freak of long standing, having had several of the 8-bit machines for
years, so he is not out to make a lot of profit on fellow Atari fans.

Another source is Paul Swanson, who uses the name Nite Lite Systems.  (He is
well known in the Atari 8-bit world for his BBS software under this name so he
continues to use the name.)  Paul makes his living as an Atari dealer, so
tends to charge higher prices than the mail order places.  However, I believe
his price is still under $100, so if he has them and the others are out of
stock, it may still beat waiting for a modem.  Besides (see below), he is in a
position to provide technical help that you won't get from other dealers.
It just might pay to have him as a friend.  Paul can be reached at (617)
663-4463 or via his BBS (running on an 8-bit Atari) at 663-4221.

NOTE:  Paul also does 520 upgrades to 1Mbyte and is a 520 dealer for both
sales and repair.  Also, he is about the highest-grade source of technical
information (hardware and software) on Atari products I have found.  Keep his
name and phone numbers on file -- you will see why if you ever need to call
on him for help.

If anyone prefers to order by mail, I could attempt to get mailing addresses
from Rick and/or Paul.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. Dobbs) (06/26/86)

In article <8606261515.AA19606@mitre-bedford.ARPA> jhs@disunix.UUCP writes:
>I have been using an Avatex 1200 baud modem for about 3 months now, and it has
>worked flawlessly.  I have not used the autoanswer feature.  I have used the

I, too, have the Avatex 1200.  It is a remarkable value that does exactly
what it is advertised to do.  BUT, I do have one minor complaint.  It does
not have a built in audio monitor.  The Hayes modem I use at work has this
function and once used to it...

It does allow a phone to be connected to it, so through carefull handling,
I can monitor the beginning of the call without *hanging up on myself :-)*

A couple of times I have called a worng number by accident.  If I hadn't
been monitoring, I would have had an irrate housewife complaining about
crank calls.

Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself

walt@rclex.UUCP (Walter L. Weber) (06/28/86)

In article <1204@mhuxo.UUCP>, gjphw@mhuxo.UUCP (WYANT) writes:

>  Does anyone have any experience with, or hearsay evidence
>  about, the Avatex 1200 baud modem?

I purchased one out of a group of 10 people.  None of them has reported
any difficulty; I used mine to replace our hayes for DIAL-IN on our Unix
system for 2 weeks while the Hayes was out for warranty repair, and am
using the Avatex 1200 now for dial-out from my 520ST.

I recommend it highly for dial-in operation in an unattended mode, or for
dial-out when it is right along side of your 520.  Do not expect to find
the full Hayes set -- it does not support any register settings, escape to
command level using "+++", etc, which is why it will work fine for dial out
if the modem is within finger's reach for disconnecting from a line, etc.

Walt Weber                UUCP:  {harvard,ll-xn}!rclex!walt
Ridge Computers          PHONE:  (617) 861-6000
Lexington, Mass.    COMPUSERVE:  76515,2423
--
Walt Weber                UUCP:  {harvard,ll-xn}!rclex!walt
Ridge Computers          PHONE:  (617) 861-6000
Lexington, Mass.    COMPUSERVE:  76515,2423

john@c3pe.UUCP (07/08/86)

I have been using an Avatex 1200 modem for about 6 months now, and have
only a few complaints. First thing, when I use it as a dial in for my
Altos system, it will go into some sort of sick mode after waiting for
a call for too long (too long being around 30 minutes). At this point,
the HS and RD lights will stay on until I turn it off and back on. I have
also noticed that if you use it for too long (greater than 6 to 8 hours),
it tends to mix garbage with the data. Also, it should have a detachable
phone cord and a much sturdier power cord receptacle. I couldn't tell you
if the first 2 problems are for just my modem, or if they apply to all
Avatex modems. Another thing, I can't figure out how to tell the modem to
stop saying CONNECT or CONNECT 1200 when someone dials in. This makes
my Altos think that someone is try to login on user CONNECT... Anyone
out there know how to shut off its messages (all of them)?

--
John P. Landahl III
..!seismo!dolqci!hqhomes!john

LAWRENCE.Auger%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Ivan Auger) (07/30/86)

I had very bad experiences with AVATEX 1200 modems.  Don't buy them.  The
first set of modems that we received would not communicate with some Bell 212
type of modems.  We sent them back twice due to the fact that after a couple
of days of use the modems would just die.  Finally, to make a long story short,
our dealer exchanged them for Racal Vadic Maxwell 1200V modems.
-------

Denber.wbst@XEROX.COM.UUCP (08/01/86)

I've talked to three different hosts with my Avatex and have had no
problems at all.  In addition, it performs great on my phone line which
is plagued by RFI from a nearby AM broadcast transmitter.  I can plainly
hear the radio over the phone, yet I've had no noise hits at all with
the Avatex, which I can't say for at least two other modems I tried
(Anchor Express, Multitech 1200).  For $85, you can hardly go wrong.  I
say buy it.

			- Michel

brent@orsvax1.UUCP (Brent Chivers) (08/08/86)

In article <12226870831.27.LAWRENCE.AUGER@IC2060>
 LAWRENCE.Auger%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Ivan Auger) writes:
>I had very bad experiences with AVATEX 1200 modems.  Don't buy them...
>We sent them back twice...  Finally, to make a long story short,
>our dealer exchanged them for Racal Vadic Maxwell 1200V modems.

Perhaps this is a hasty conclusion.  Another newsgroup has had numerous
postings saying US Robotics Courier (2400/1200/300) modems (this posting
will come through one, although at only 1200 baud, by the way) are
	(a) great|far better than average|noise-free|etc. or
	(b) terrible|unreliable|pure junk|noise-prone|etc.
The units that reach the field seem to fall at the extremes of usefulness.

I have had experince with 3 Avatex 1200's, one of which I own.  Two
were fine.  The third did not work, but it also did not pass its built-
in self-diagnostics.  It was returned, and the replacement is fine.

Perhaps yours came from a bad lot.  If so, then USR is not the only
company that can often (but not consistently) make a good modem.
-------------
Brent Chivers		{allegra|ihnp4}!princeton!orsvax1!brent  or perhaps
ORS Automation, Inc	seismo!caip!topaz!pyrnj!orsvax1!brent
440 Wall St			Phone 609-924-1667
Princeton, NJ  08540		FAX   609-924-2413
USA				TELEX 4944924 ORSIN
--------------------
Disclaimer:
	I have no connection with E&E Datacom (Avatex), USR, or
	Racal-Vadic.  (Or Agent #86 :-)  I am just a satisfied
	(especially for the price) customer/user.

"If there is any place on earth that needs light, it is certainly New York."

						Felix August Bartholdy
--
Brent Chivers		{allegra|ihnp4}!princeton!orsvax1!brent  or perhaps
ORS Automation, Inc	seismo!caip!topaz!pyrnj!orsvax1!brent
440 Wall St			Phone 609-924-1667
Princeton, NJ  08540		FAX   609-924-2413
USA				TELEX 4944924 ORSIN
-------------
Disclaimer:	Our business may be vision, but my views are my own.

droch@ihlpa.UUCP (Kraft) (08/14/86)

> In article <12226870831.27.LAWRENCE.AUGER@IC2060>
>  LAWRENCE.Auger%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Ivan Auger) writes:
> >I had very bad experiences with AVATEX 1200 modems.  Don't buy them...
> >We sent them back twice...  Finally, to make a long story short,
> >our dealer exchanged them for Racal Vadic Maxwell 1200V modems.

	I've had an Avatex 1200 hooked up to my Amiga (egads!) for
nearly four months now without any problems.  My only complaint is
that there is no speaker and you can't tell if the line was busy or
never picked up (if you're a wimp you can always pick up the phone :-).

				David Roch
				AT&T Bell Labs

--- You can't get there from here - REM ---

lefko@leadsv.UUCP (08/19/86)

In article <1664@ihlpa.UUCP>, droch@ihlpa.UUCP (Kraft) writes:

> 	I've had an Avatex 1200 hooked up to my Amiga (egads!) for
> nearly four months now without any problems.  My only complaint is
> that there is no speaker and you can't tell if the line was busy or
> never picked up (if you're a wimp you can always pick up the phone :-).

I just bought a 520st mono system and Avatex modem.  I have no problems with
it except the one mentioned above.  If your not dialing long distance you
can use pulse mode insted of tone mode and hear the number dialing.

--

 {(ucbvax!dual!sun) (ihnp4!qubix)}!sunncal!leadsv!lefko
 {{allegra ihnp4 dual}!fortune decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!leadsv!lefko

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (08/22/86)

     I have tried a few cheap modems lately and have found the following:

The GVC modem has problems with reliability.  The first one I had would
overheat after the 1st hour.  An auto answer modem which can't be left
on 24 hrs./day is not much good.  You'd have to turn it on manually to
answer the call just before the call was made.  My 2nd GVC just died outright.
I have no idea what happened to it.  It is going back to the manufacturer
shortly.  That's 2 out of 2 modems failed.

The Tandy 2212 is wonderfully reliable.  Did I mention that the signal quality
of the GVC mentioned above was maginal and it had data-errors consistently at
11200 baud for uploads thus limiting me to 300 baud uploads?  Don't expect all
cheap modems to have adequate signals.  The Tandy modems seem to have excellent
signal quality (I borrowed one before and bought one later, so they have
had 2 out of 2 winners -- the opposite of GVC).  The command system in the
Tandy is BETTER than Hayes.  It is simpler than Hayes (i.e. not Hayes com-
patible if you are a true invalid) and maintains the last number for redial.
IF you buy it on a sale you have an excellent modem fairly cheap.

The USR Password is a Hayes compatible with an excellent reputation.  I tried
one and almost bought it.  Signal quality is good.  The only slight drawback
I *think* it had (memory a bit poor on this point because I tried a few
modems) was that it had to have its commands entered in upper case only.  This
is common and I think even the real Hayes 1200 baud had this problem.  Strange
in the Hayes when you think about the cost.

The Avatex 1200 seems to have good signal quality (I haven't tried 1200 baud
uploads yet).  It requires commands to be entered in Upper Case only.  You
cannot use the Hayes +++ command.  Forced disconnect, baudrate selection on
originate and voice/data control are all manual.  Baudrate selection is
automatic on Auto-Answer, which suits me fine..

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (08/23/86)

I think the Avatex will disconnect if you drop Data Terminal Ready.  This can
be done in software so need not be manual.  However it cannot be done by
typing on the keyboard while on-line, as I presume can be done with a real
$350.00 Hayes.  The Avatex will also drop back to command mode if you lose the
carrier, which is the most usual occurrence when you log out of your host
system.

On the other hand, if anybody should be sending binary files or encrypted
text, they might find their Hayes not the best choice for the very reason that
there are data strings that will dump it back into command mode.

All in all, I remain VERY pleased with the performance of my Avatex,
especially considering the price of $80.00 that I paid for it.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (08/25/86)

In article <8608230248.AA07211@mitre-bedford.ARPA> jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>I think the Avatex will disconnect if you drop Data Terminal Ready.  This can
>be done in software so need not be manual.  However it cannot be done by
>typing on the keyboard while on-line, as I presume can be done with a real
>$350.00 Hayes.  The Avatex will also drop back to command mode if you lose the

     Thanks for pointing that out John.  What baffled me for a while was
the fact that leaving the VT-52 emulator or leaving Flash doesn't drop
DTR.  David Betz on BIX has a new version of BMODEM which drops DTR on
exit, but it would seem that this isn't the ideal situation yet because
you cannot call a SHELL from within BMODEM at this time.  This limits
what you can actually do from within BMODEM.  David is going to write the
next version of BMODEM with a Disconnect command which will force DTR
low from within BMODEM.  This seems to be the best idea for now.
Those of you writing Comm packages should keep in mind that there are
essentially two standard methods of forcing disconnection.  The first
is the DTR low, which fakes shutting off the "terminal".  The second
is 1/2 BREAK which is from Bell 103 and 212A modems.  One or both of these
should always be available to the user.

>All in all, I remain VERY pleased with the performance of my Avatex,
>especially considering the price of $80.00 that I paid for it.

     I agree.  Although I've only had it for a couple of days now, I
have successfully uploaded and downloaded at 1200 baud across Tymnet
which failed with the GVC.  Also, I have reports that real Hayes modems
are not particularly reliable either (though likely not as bad as the
GVC's), so there you have it.  It seems you can do better than a
real Hayes modem for much less.

--

cms@vlsvax1.UUCP (Chuck M. Sweeney) (08/25/86)

In article <1317@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I have tried a few cheap modems lately and have found the following:
>
>The GVC modem has problems with reliability. <more stuff about GVC>
>
>The Tandy 2212 is wonderfully reliable. <more stuff about Tandy>
>
>The USR Password is a Hayes compatible <more stuff about USR Password>
>
>The Avatex 1200 seems to have good signal quality <more about Avatek>
>--
>James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
>ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura
>Byte Information eXchange: jimomura
>(416) 652-3880

In all the talk about various modems lately, especially low cost ones, I
have been interested to see no mention of the Team Industries SMARTeam
modem.  This could be because of distribution peculiarities or other things.
Anyway, I bought one at a swap meet in the SF Bay Area a few months ago.
The going price seems to be about $165 which is cheap compared to Hayes
and expensive compared to Avatek.  But comparing to Avatek based on what
I have heard and read, it has a lot more in the way of features.  It is
*completely* Hayes compatible meaning soft access to all registers and
features.  It has an external speaker (soft controllable - you can shut
it off all together, leave it on constantly, or leave it in default mode
where it shuts itself off when it receives carrier.  It is 300/1200 baud
(with 1200 being default) and I have had *no* problems with signal quality
in transferring many megabytes both ways (both binary and ascii).  I
even had a good experience with customer service.  A few weeks ago I
started having problems getting connected to a couple of BBS' and the
VAX at work when it had been working flawlessly before.  I tried different
RS232 settings from the desktop and nothing changed.  I tried a different
cable and concluded that the modem was bad.  I called the US distributor,
they told me to send it in.  I got an *exchange* modem back in 7 working
days, no questions asked.  When it didn't work, I discovered that the
problem was with me and my software, not the modem.  The modem never
was broken, but the company was responsive anyway.  I like it.

I haven't seen this modem advertised, but it seems to be around and I'm
convinced it's a good buy.  The only thing it's missing that I would like
to see is a clock, but overall, I'm very happy with it.  Check it out.

Sweeney
qantel!vlsvax1!cms