Date:          Wed, 2 Apr 86 16:22 EST
From:          (1) <RDROYA01@ULKYVX.BITNET>
Subject:       RUMORS
To:            info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Two rumors have surfaced on the info-68k list that Atari users may be able
to answer:

           1.  The Atari ST is running a version of CP/M-68K with GEM
               built in.  (Could this be true?)

           2.  There exists a generic Z80 emulator (not 8080) in the
               public domain that allows 68000 machines to run CP/M-80
               programs and that this program is available for Ataris
               but is *so* generic that any 68000 based micro could
               run it.  This is not to be confused with the 8080
               emulator from recent Dr. Dobb's issues.

Can anyone verify or refute these rumors?

Robert Royar
Dept. of English
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (04/04/86)

In article <8604022259.AA00201@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> RDROYA01@ULKYVX.BITNET (1) writes:

>Two rumors have surfaced on the info-68k list that Atari users may be able
>to answer:
>
>           1.  The Atari ST is running a version of CP/M-68K with GEM
>               built in.  (Could this be true?)

No, this could not be true. The ST uses its own operating system called
TOS or GEMDOS, depending on whether it's Atari or DRI which tells you.

>           2.  There exists a generic Z80 emulator (not 8080) in the
>               public domain that allows 68000 machines to run CP/M-80
>               programs and that this program is available for Ataris
>               but is *so* generic that any 68000 based micro could
>               run it.  This is not to be confused with the 8080
>               emulator from recent Dr. Dobb's issues.

The CP/M-Z80 emulator is not Public Domain in the United States, and is not
generic enough to be run on any given 68K computer without modification.

>Can anyone verify or refute these rumors?

Yes.

|Whatever I write are not the opinions or policies of Digital Research, Inc.,|
|and probably won't be in the foreseeable future.                            |

Bruce Holloway

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)

Flash@UMass.BITNET (Rick Flashman) (08/12/86)

I just heard some interesting rumors.

1. The IBM emulator is finished and is going into production and should
   be out by X-Mass at a price of $300. Plugs into the cartridge port.

2. The Atari TT is going right on schedule and should be announced and
   shown at COMDEX in November. It is a 68020 based system with 4 megs RAM.
   It also supports a 1024x1024 resolution screen.

Questions for Niell and others:

1. I heard that the IBM emulator does NOT support graphics. Will it ever?
   If it does, when?

2. Does the TT run UN*X? I do know that Atari DID liscence it (UN*X).
   Is it an upgrade for the 1040/520 or is it a separate machine?
   What price range am I looking at? I heard that it's release date is
   January, how correct is it?

Rick Flashman

BTW, on I*S Talk, I finally got in touch with Batteries Included. They
told me that the programmer is WORKING on fixing *my* copy. I dunno what
they are up to up there, but they said that they would ship the fixed version
back to me this Friday.

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (08/21/86)

In article <860811184615.000027EC.APYP.MA@UMass>, Flash@UMass.BITNET (Rick Flashman) writes:

> Questions for Niell and others:

Anyone who spells my name like that doesn't get any answers.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil   or ...lll-lcc!vecpyr!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (08/21/86)

In article <860811184615.000027EC.APYP.MA@UMass>, Flash@UMass.BITNET (Rick Flashman) writes:
> I just heard some interesting rumors.
>
> 1. The IBM emulator is finished and is going into production and should
>    be out by X-Mass at a price of $300. Plugs into the cartridge port.

Plugs into the DMA port.  Not yet finished (Real Soon Now).

> 2. The Atari TT is going right on schedule and should be announced and
>    shown at COMDEX in November. It is a 68020 based system with 4 megs RAM.
>    It also supports a 1024x1024 resolution screen.

Lots of incorrect info here.

> 1. I heard that the IBM emulator does NOT support graphics. Will it ever?
>    If it does, when?

It does too.

> 2. Does the TT run UN*X? I do know that Atari DID liscence it (UN*X).
>    Is it an upgrade for the 1040/520 or is it a separate machine?
>    What price range am I looking at? I heard that it's release date is
>    January, how correct is it?

We did license UNIX system V.  Expect to see it or something similar in
a 68020-based product.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil   or ...lll-lcc!vecpyr!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies

mwherman@watcgl.UUCP (Michael W. Herman) (08/27/86)

Will the IBM Emulator run MS-Windows?