[net.micro.atari16] KERMIT UPLOAD PROBLEM WITH AVATEX MODEM

menton@v5130b.DECnet ("V5130B::MENTON") (08/26/86)

	I had one failure in capability of an Avatex 1200 bps modem that
I'd like to share with the net.  The Avatex was unable to complete a text
file transfer from the ST to a VAX, using Kermit.  When the Avatex was
replaced with a Hayes Smartmodem 1200, the file uploaded with no problems.

	For almost 2 weeks, the Avatex worked fine for interactive modem
communications.  It's a minor annoyance not to have a speaker to monitor
for busy signals (although a jack for a spare telephone is provided).
The Avatex runs slightly warmer than the Hayes, but not excessively so.
I have line noise problems when dialing into work with the Hayes; the
Avatex had the same behavior.  When dialing BBs with no line noise (based
on use of the Hayes), the Avatex also performed flawlessly.

	So, no problems: Hayes performance at 1200 bps with an $89 price!
That is, until I tried a text file upload from home to the VAX at work
(520 ST, 1 megabyte memory, PC InterComm terminal program at home).  Using
Kermit, the file transfer started, but then just stopped (in one case,
after uploading 2 blocks, in another, after 7 blocks).  It's as if Kermit
was waiting for some kind of handshake from the Avatex, but never got it.
Making no other changes, I switched from the Avatex to the Hayes, and the
entire text file uploaded correctly.

	Anyone else seen this behavior with an Avatex modem?

	By the way, the new model Avatex (100 % Hayes compatible, approx.
$130) is available.  I *THINK* it has a built-in speaker.  I wonder what
else it does to justify an almost-50% increase in price!

						Bob Menton KG3J
						MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

------

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (08/27/86)

Speaking of Avatex...
I understand from my local Avatex dealer that the fully Hayes-compatible
Avatex will be followed soon by a 2400 bps model at less than $200.

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. Dobbs) (08/27/86)

In article <8608261651.AA01583@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "V5130B::MENTON" <menton@v5130b.decnet> writes:

>	I had one failure in capability of an Avatex 1200 bps modem that
>I'd like to share with the net.  The Avatex was unable to complete a text
>file transfer from the ST to a VAX, using Kermit.  When the Avatex was
>replaced with a Hayes Smartmodem 1200, the file uploaded with no problems.

Kermit SHOULDN'T need anything special to run.  I have two versions of
Kermit (A GEM version and the developer's kit version) and both perform
perfectly with the AVATEX 1200.  I upload and download to/from a vax
running UNIX 4.2BSD over PacBell lines.  Packets are sent/received
with no retries or errors.

The problem MAY be the noisy lines to work that you mentioned.  The AVATEX
is slightly less friendly in noisey environments than the Hayes.  But, at
the price of each, the Avatex has my full support.

--Lynn

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (08/29/86)

> In article <8608261651.AA01583@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "V5130B::MENTON" <menton@v5130b.decnet> writes:
> >
> >	I had one failure in capability of an Avatex 1200 bps modem that
> >I'd like to share with the net.  The Avatex was unable to complete a text
> >file transfer from the ST to a VAX, using Kermit.  When the Avatex was
> >replaced with a Hayes Smartmodem 1200, the file uploaded with no problems.

just to cloud the issue further, i have found ( atleast with
PC/Intercomm) that you must use kermit -i (on the vax) and
kermit-image (on PC/IC) for binary files and kermit on both for text
files, if you mix them in any way the transfer will run but you will
end up with null files or the famed garbage.
--
----
		It aint life that gets me down, it's gravity

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

hyc@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Howard Chu) (08/30/86)

You always have to specify image mode when using mainframe Kermits.
They default to text mode, which for Unix systems means a single
line feed delimits lines, whereas most other systems use both a
carriage return and a line feed. If you transfer a file using text
mode, the Unix Kermit looks for line feeds and replaces them with
CR/LF sequences. If you want to send a file with absolutely no
translation of the data, you use image mode. (Boy, if you really
want to get screwed up, try Kermitting to an IBM style system that
uses EBCDIC! Then the difference between Text mode and Image mode
becomes *really* obvious...)
  -- Howard Chu
     hyc@umix.cc.umich.edu