[net.micro.atari16] Resource Construction Set

UC.BRI%DEEP-THOUGHT@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Brian Totty) (03/02/86)

	Does anyone know how to make menus on the resource construction
set?  When I add entries to a menu, there are large spaces between each
entry.  How can you add entries without the large spaces?  Is this a bug
in the RCS, or just me using it wrong?

					Thanks for the help,

					--- Bri

					uc.bri@deep-thought.mit.edu

					...!eddie!bri

-------

rling@UW-JUNE.ARPA (03/02/86)

My developer's kit came with no documentation on how to use the RSC.
The following are just some things I found out by playing arround with
the RSC.  For the sake of clarity, I call the objects in the menu bar
'items' and the individual objects within a menu item 'selections'.

 - When dragging menu items from the 'part-box' to the menu bar, place
   it to the right of the last menu item.  If it overlaps any previous
   item, the menu items will be rearranged.

- You can set how wide the highlighted bar will be when the menu
  item is moused in the application program by dragging the
  lower-right corner of the highlighted area when the menu item is
  selected (highlighted) within the RSC.  This also affects where
  menu item(s) to the right will be placed in the menu bar.

- You can resize the drop-down area by 'dragging' the lower-right
  corner.  You can enlarge this area only if the area is empty.  For example,
  when you first create a menu tree, there is already an item called
  'File' with one selection ('Quit').  You would have to remove this item
  in order to enlarge the area.  You can, however, shrink it even if it
  is not empty.

- Within the application program, when the mouse is over a selection
  within a menu item, the selection is highlighted.  The width (and
  possibly height) of this highlighted area can also be set with the RSC.
  This is done by 'dragging' the lower-right corner of this highlighted
  area within the RSC.

- Robert Ling   <rling@uw-june.arpa>

gyuri@CVL.UMD.EDU (Gyorgy Fekete) (03/02/86)

Just to clean up the terminology:
Robert's "items" in the menu bar are called "titles"
and his selections are really called "items" in GEM/AES lingo.

		  <title>

	+---------+---------+--------------------------+
	| Desk    |  File   |			       |
	+---------+---------+--------------------------+
		  |  Tweep  |
		  +---------+
	<item> -->|  Quit   |
		  +---------+

See an exanple of a MENU tree in the .C file generated by RCS.

-George

jan@looking.UUCP (Jan Gray) (03/03/86)

In article <12187337917.23.UC.BRI@DEEP-THOUGHT.MIT.EDU> UC.BRI%DEEP-THOUGHT@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Brian Totty) writes:
>	Does anyone know how to make menus on the resource construction
>set?  When I add entries to a menu, there are large spaces between each
>entry.  How can you add entries without the large spaces?  Is this a bug
>in the RCS, or just me using it wrong?
>					--- Bri
>					uc.bri@deep-thought.mit.edu
>					...!eddie!bri
If by "entries" you mean "titles", you can edit out the spaces in the title
(start by double clicking the title).

If by "entries" you mean "entries", you can resize the area for drop
down menus by holding down CTRL and dragging the bottom right corner
of the area.  Entries can be positioned anywhere within this area,
on *line* boundaries only.

Jan Gray	Looking Glass Software, Waterloo, Ont.	    (519) 884-7473

acharnas@mipos3.UUCP (Andy Charnas ~) (09/11/86)

I just got Mark Williams C (for $139, BTW, from San Jose Computer),
which is a real complete package for the price: it includes uemacs,
make, ushell, an assembler, and a slow-but-seems-ok c compiler.
But it doesn't include a Resource Construction Set.

Does anyone know if an RCS (source or object) exists in the public
domain, or if it is available for sale separate from the Developers' Kit?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Charnas, Microprocessor Division, Intel Corp, Santa Clara, Ca.