[net.micro.atari16] RECENT ST PRICE IN D.C. AREA

menton@v5130b.DECnet ("V5130B::MENTON") (09/11/86)

bridge, VA, the basic 520ST, monochrome monitor, one SS disk drive is going
for $549.  This is the same system that sold for $495 (on sale) not long
ago.  I didn't think that dealers would raise the 'sale' price.  This (and
any further possible price increases) could be a set-up for a big price
CUT several weeks before Christmas.  Or, has supply and demand worked its
magic?  Can the ST be selling **THAT** well ??
						Bob Menton
						MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

------

view3b5@ihlpl.UUCP (Pruitt) (09/12/86)

> bridge, VA, the basic 520ST, monochrome monitor, one SS disk drive is going
> for $549.  This is the same system that sold for $495 (on sale) not long
> ago.  I didn't think that dealers would raise the 'sale' price.  This (and
> any further possible price increases) could be a set-up for a big price
> CUT several weeks before Christmas.  Or, has supply and demand worked its
> magic?  Can the ST be selling **THAT** well ??
> 						Bob Menton
> 						MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

In June, Atari threw in the SS disk drive free to dealers ordering the
monochrome system.  This is what brought the price (sale) down under
$500 at several mail order sources and some discount stores.  As I
understand it, the deal did not apply to color systems which is why
you didn't see a corresponding drop in prices of color systems.  Probably
most of those systems are sold by now.  A sale price of $549 is very,
very good if the dealer had to pay normal system price to Atari.  I
have not heard of any price increases but Atari is trying to get the
EST system out by Christmas according to Current Notes and it will
cost more than the 1040ST.  I would think that that would drive the
price of the other systems down slightly, but not guarantees.

Kit Kimes
AT&T-ISL
Naperville, IL
...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

cms@vlsvax1.UUCP (Chuck M. Sweeney) (09/12/86)

In article <8609111838.AA03797@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "V5130B::MENTON" <menton@v5130b.decnet> This may not be new info to many, but@L&Y.Electronics.in.Wood- writes:
>bridge, VA, the basic 520ST, monochrome monitor, one SS disk drive is going
>for $549.  This is the same system that sold for $495 (on sale) not long
>ago.  I didn't think that dealers would raise the 'sale' price.  This (and
>any further possible price increases) could be a set-up for a big price
>CUT several weeks before Christmas.  Or, has supply and demand worked its
>magic?  Can the ST be selling **THAT** well ??
>						Bob Menton
>						MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

The $495 price quoted here *was* a sale price.  It was a special promotion
that Atari offered last summer and it ended August 1.  There may be,
according to sources at Atari, some dealers who bought in on the deal
at the the end of the offer and they may still have some systems to offer
at that price.  The dealer in VA may be doing that and getting an extra
$54 out of of (I say *MAY* - I have no information on this, it's pure
speculation - the dealer may also just be offering a dynamite price).
At any rate, this does not reflect any price increases from Atari on
the ST.

While I'm here:  This is probably my last posting on the net.  Today
is my last day with my employer and I don't have any idea if my next
job will give me access to usenet.  I have greatly enjoyed reading and
interacting with the net and I appreciate both the information and
sources contributed by net people and the opportunity provided by those
organizations who make the net possible at all.  Thanks, all.  See
you around.

Sweeney

/*
*  BTW:  I have no affiliation with Atari Corporation (Actually, I have
*  no affiliation with any corporation at the moment) and any remarks
*  above are my opinion and shouldn't be perceived to reflect reality.
*/