[net.micro.atari16] Memory Upgrade Plea

leo@sunybcs.UUCP (Leo Wilson) (09/12/86)

To expand upon my posting of a few days ago, I need some pointers
from someone knowlegable about the 1Mb upgrade for the ST. I installed
mine using the instructions posted by Joe Augenbraun (augenbra@MICRO.UDEL.EDU)
in early april.

The problem is that my ST doesn't seem to recognize bank 1 as being there,
though it does still boot & recognize bank 0 .  A little added info: I
used Hitachi HM50256 chips & wire wound 68k resistors. My board is a rev. B
board. (I should say "boards" as I also did the machine at work with
an identical lack of results.)

Some PD stuff I have that might help me are a PD freeram accesory (that tells
me I have 340k or so of free ram), a couple of programs that reconfigure
the system to 1Mb or 1/2Mb (probably by setting phystop & other variables),
and a memory test program that says it's testing 1 Mb & lists addresses
it checks as being between ~160k & 522k.

Disk copies happen in one buffer, even when using the 410k format & filling
the disk to capacity, but other than that it appears as though the upper
memory doesn't exist. When I run the memtest for hours I get no errors,
probably because it just isn't testing bank 1 at all. When I run the program
to reconfigure to 1Mb I get a screen full of vertical lines just wide enough
to fit the 36 bombs (NOT mushrooms) in.
Can anyone venture a guess at what I'm doing wrong, or point me towards a
PD memory worm?

Thanks much,	-Leo
Leo E. Wilson(leo@buffalo.csnet)
(716)883-7573
UUCP:...![bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath]!sunybcs!leo

csc@watmath.UUCP (Jan Gray) (09/13/86)

In article <905@sunybcs.UUCP> leo@sunybcs.UUCP (Leo Wilson) writes:
>though it does still boot & recognize bank 0 .  A little added info: I
>used Hitachi HM50256 chips & wire wound 68k resistors. My board is a rev. B

I hope you meant 68 ohm resistors.  Otherwise, that is your problem.

In article <905@sunybcs.UUCP> leo@sunybcs.UUCP (Leo Wilson) writes:

>The problem is that my ST doesn't seem to recognize bank 1 as being there,
>though it does still boot & recognize bank 0 .  A little added info: I
>used Hitachi HM50256 chips & wire wound 68k resistors. My board is a rev. B
>board. (I should say "boards" as I also did the machine at work with
>an identical lack of results.)

68K?  K, who said K?  Off the top of my head, these resistors are more likely
to be 68 OHMS.  Any any case, wire-wound would be no advantage - ordinary
carbon composition or carbon-film is preferable for this sort of thing...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr