[net.micro.atari16] FINANCIAL HEALTH OF ATARI ??

menton@v5130b.DECnet ("V5130B::MENTON") (09/20/86)

Did I hear right, on the cable TV show "Computer Chronicles" on 9/20/86?
Atari is laying off people, down from 7,000 not long ago, to 1,000 in the
near future?  Because they LOST $500 million (!) last year ??
						Bob Menton
						MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

------

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (09/21/86)

Could they have gotten them mixed up with Commodore Business Machines?

-John S.

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (09/22/86)

In article <8609201633.AA06324@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "V5130B::MENTON" <menton@v5130b.decnet> writes:
>Did I hear right, on the cable TV show "Computer Chronicles" on 9/20/86?
>Atari is laying off people, down from 7,000 not long ago, to 1,000 in the
>near future?  Because they LOST $500 million (!) last year ??
>						Bob Menton
>						MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS

These numbers do sound familiar.  They sound like what occurred when Mr.
Tramael took over ATARI from Warner.  When he took over, there were about
7000, many of them in marketing.  Within a few months, there were only a
hand full of marketing people, a core engineering staff (mostly working on
the ST), and the manufacturing facilities were all put under automation.

Atari did lose $500 million the year it was sold to Mr. T., in fact that
was one of it's better years.  Since the sale, Atari has not only been
doing well in the sales, but it may be showing a profit for the first
time since the release of the 800.

Is it possible that this show was a repeat?

Ironically, Atari has been one of the few PC companies that has shown
improvement this year (1986).  Even grand old IBM has been feeling the
Atari bite of the market.

Just out of curiosity, what is the ticker symbol for Atari?  It used to
be part of Warner Communications, but appears to be a separate company
now?

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (09/23/86)

> Did I hear right, on the cable TV show "Computer Chronicles" on 9/20/86?
> Atari is laying off people, down from 7,000 not long ago, to 1,000 in the
> near future?  Because they LOST $500 million (!) last year ??
> 						Bob Menton
> 						MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS
>
> ------
I think you've been doing the time warp once too often, first which atari ?
games or corp ? and second both atari's (to the best of my knowledge) have
been well below the 1,000 employee mark for years now.
for further reading, you might want to check out the posting on atari corp
going public....
--
----
		It aint life that gets me down, it's gravity

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (09/24/86)

In article <8609201633.AA06324@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, menton@v5130b.DECnet ("V5130B::MENTON") writes:
> Did I hear right, on the cable TV show "Computer Chronicles" on 9/20/86?
> Atari is laying off people, down from 7,000 not long ago, to 1,000 in the
> near future?  Because they LOST $500 million (!) last year ??

OLD NEWS!  This is the story from 1984!  Did you pick up a time warped
TV signal?  We have about 1,000 employees worldwide at the moment, and
our financial performance is available from any PaineWebber office.
--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"I'm a 20th century man but I don't want to die here." -- Ray Davies